Miniature pipe fittings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miniature pipe fittings

Does anybody out there have a diagram for making a threaded, take-apart, union for a 1/8"OD pipeline. Goes on a steam line from the boiler to the cylinder/valve assembly. I have made some in the past, but misplaced them, and my buddy who taught me how to make them has passed on. BEN

PM research sell them ready made and they have casting tree's of rough fittings. I think there was an article in the live steam magazine a couple years ago.
    Glen
    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Something like that I'd just buy. I do make the other fittings that are more common - elbows, etc. but a union has 4 parts most all needing jigs.

American Model Engineering has them. I don't have a connection to AME except as a satisfied customer (if you call say "hi" to Barbara).

http://www.americanmodeleng.com/id36.html

Comment

I have made a couple by modifying compression or flared tubing fittings. You can trim them down a bit to keep them fom looking too clunky, or use them as a guide to making a union.

I suspect any of the Kozo Hirakoa books would have details for fitting fabrication as well.
        Jim H.

Comment

Thanks for your suggestion about the use of regular tubing fittings as a guide to fabricating one. I sorta did that and think I got a good enough one to go further with the whole steam engine. Incidentally, JCHannum, I notice you are from Toledo. Used to live there for a couple of years - in the corner of Seaman and Wheeling (north of Starr Ave) close to the Lutheran Orphanage. You didn't happen to go to Waite High School with Klinger?

Comment

They are so simple to make you hardly need a drawing for 'em, however I will have a look and see if I have one.

In essence you need a 1/4" threaded fitting, drilled through 1/8" and with a centre drill run in to cone the end. Then a nut to match - make it from 5/16" hex, 5/16" long, with the 1/4" thread going 1/4" deep and drilled through 1/18", now all you need is a little olive for the pipe - taper one end to match the angle of the centre drill - and sweat it on with either soft or silver solder. The olive will need to be a free fit in the threaded portion of the nut. Done!

Last edited by Tel; 04-18-2012, 06:04 AM.
            Tel

Comment

I'm an Ohio transplant from South Jersey 30 years ago. Perrysburg address, but live closer to Waterville.
              Jim H.

Comment

make em they are not hard

I make them down to 1/16 OD pipe 5BA tread for the nut

Stuart

Comment

Working...
                X