16” Navel gun rounds made safe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16” Navel gun rounds made safe

I’m back from making the 16” Navel gun rounds safe. All went well the Gov. Contractor is happy with the results. We had two types of rounds a high capacity round and a target round. The high capacity rounds wear concrete filled. I was surprised the concrete was able to deform and adsorbed the over presser and not pop open. The target rounds wear solid steel except for the base fuse. The target rounds popped open like expected some more than others. We shot the rounds in the base fuses. The job called for a 2” wide hole 4” deep for an inspection hole. We did that no problem.

Comment

Not exactly sure what's going on there. Are you knocking holes in them with explosives?
      Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
      Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
      Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

What are you making them safe from? It sounds like your description is of non-explosive target shells. Is this practice for explosive filled shells? Does any navy or military use a 16" gun anymore?

Comment

Shape charges to make them useless to anyone that has a 16" gun laying around?

Brian
          OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by bborr01

Brian
            Still got to check what's in a couple of cupboards but can't remember having one.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Any shot failures? Did anything go boom that wasn't expected?
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

John your gun is amere 3 inches .Gert and Bronwen laughed about it last time she telephoned us don't you remember ??
                ah the old ones are the best.Alistair
                Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Aw crap! Now I've to call the scrap guy.

Comment

I don't think the govt is too worried about hoodie-wearing-16"-naval-gun-packing-rogue-nations (or whatever) getting a hold of the shells. I think they were just making sure that there was no explosive (bursting, boosting, initiating, pyro, whatever) material left remaining in the shells. All the shells look like they were recovered from a practice range (all the drive bands are grooved from firing.)

My guess is that it is now safe to use them for scrap to make butter churns and plough shares out of.

-DU-

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                      Still got to check what's in a couple of cupboards but can't remember having one.
                      I bought it off you 4 years back.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Krome
                        Does any navy or military use a 16" gun anymore?
                        Nope, the last battleship in the reserve fleet got sent off for museum duty a few years ago.

Steve

Comment

I am guessing it is to make darn sure the round is a dummy round. It would rather suck to have one go off while being melted down.

Comment

Zero machining content.
                            Just saying.

--Doozer
                            DZER

Comment

I heard about an English guy working in a sawmill. They were sawing up trees that were at the far end of an old military artillery range in England. He sawed into a shell embedded in a tree and it blew up and ruined him.

Comment

Working...
                              X