OT: metering applicator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: metering applicator?

I want to make a tool for my yard. I want to be able to pour a bottle of Roundup in it, and walk around my lawn and press down with the tip as though it were a cane, and have a metered amount of the herbicide flow out. Anyone know of a design that does that? Or made one? Or can figure out how it could be done?

Have access to lathe, mill, welder, basically fab/machine shop capabilities.

metalmagpie

Modify a simple pump-up sprayer? Are you taking concentrate or diluted "ready to use" mix.

To use concentrate one is made by Gilmor for 25 or more years. I have one. You can dial in 0-10 teaspoons or tablespoons per gallon of water. Very easy to direct spray. Instant on/off. The finger determines the amount by duty cycle

You can easily direct a pumpup sprayer by the use of a can at ground level around the sprayer tip. Finger time determines the amount; can size will deterime the radius. I don't bother - just get closer for smaller area.
    Last edited by lakeside53; 04-17-2012, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Exactly what you described WERE called dandelion canes. We had them when I was growing up. They seemed to have disappeared from the net. There are no pictures or anything

This is the closest, but, it might work. It has a valve, but no precise measurement.

Comment

I have a soldering flux pen that works just like that but I have no idea what the mechanism is called.

I don't have tools to draw it, but a cavity open at the top and bottom with two plungers on a shaft would work. The cavity holds the measured amount of fluid gravity fed from the top opening. Normally the upper opening is open and the bottom one is closed. When you push on the bottom, the shaft slides up, closing the upper hole before opening the lower one.

Hope you can visualize that :-)

Comment

I envision a hollow piston in a tube. It is spring loaded to pop upwards so the opening in the hollow lines up with a hole in the tube which communicates with the tank holding the liquid. When you press down on the shaft the piston is forced down the tube to a second hole that is open to the outside allowing the measured amount of liquid to spill out. The volume of the hollow in the piston determines the amount dispensed. You probably need some measure for venting the air out so it can fill properly and also empty quickly, perhaps a second hole on the other side with matching holes in the tube. O Rings for seals?
          Paul A.

Make it fit.
          You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by metalmagpie
            I want to make a tool for my yard. I want to be able to pour a bottle of Roundup in it, and walk around my lawn and press down with the tip as though it were a cane, and have a metered amount of the herbicide flow out. Anyone know of a design that does that? Or made one? Or can figure out how it could be done?

Have access to lathe, mill, welder, basically fab/machine shop capabilities.

metalmagpie
            "RoundUp" (Glyphosate) is really meant to be absorbed by foliage (green stuff).

I use a 10 litre knapsack - (diluted 13milli-litres per litre) - and has worked well for years. I put out anywhere from 20>60 litres at a time depending on the season and grass and weed growth.

I have no problem with over-spray on tree/bush bark but I avoid spraying the leaves etc (green).

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&gs_n...w=1280&bih=523

Comment

OT has it right. Roundup is a topical herbicide. There once were "Killer Kanes" that applied 2-4 D, (another topical herbicide.) They were aimed specifically at the lawn weed market, (dandelions and common plantain,) because these are rosette-shaped and an easy target for a stick.
              I suggest that a Water-Pik dental cleaner would be a better starting point. They consist of a small piston pump with a variable stroke. Might have to change the motor to cordless drill, but with a trigger control and a long wand, you could squirt a "short shot" at any weed.
              The pump, by the way, is intended to work with a flooded suction, (no lift.) We dont want any cavitation here!
              Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

Take a look at liquor shot dispensers like they use in bars, the type with a reservoir that dumps when the glass lifts the metering bar and refills afterwards. You might get some ideas from that.

bob

Comment

Working...
                X