Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing the handle from cross-slide of 1933 South Bend Toomaker's lathe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing the handle from cross-slide of 1933 South Bend Toomaker's lathe?

I am in the process of restoring/rescuing/resto-modding a 1933 Southbend Toolmaker's lathe (Model 420-Z) and I have found a few more things needing some attention. . .primarily the saddle at this point.

At some point the lathe was dropped and/or knocked over on it's side. This broke the handle off of the cross-slide lead screw (with part of the lead screw still in it); the lead screw needs replaced, the gib for the back of the saddle is broken, and the handle is bent slightly. Luckily (I thought) the lathe came with an extra saddle, but it turns out that the extra saddle is not for this lathe (or at least is not the same as the one I have and the matching apron); it is slightly larger. The lead screw is 1" longer (12" vs. 11", but I think I might be able to use it anyway by just turning the extra inch off of the end) and the apron mounting screws are farther apart (8" CTC vs. the 7" CTC mounting holes in the apron I have). I plan on machinig a new gib for the saddle, hopefully I can modify the longer cross-slide lead screw (I have to get it out of the other saddle first though), and I'm hoping I can get the bent part of the handle out and press a new piece in.

Here's my question, how do I get the handle off of the lead screw on these older lathes? I removed the set-screw from the graduated sleeve and once I remove the handle it will come right out, but it appears there is a peened over (?) piece holding the handle in place. Looks like a flat-head screw with a hole bored in it. . .then a domed pin (with a center in it) was pressed/peened (don't know which one) in place to hold the handle on. How do I get the retaining pin out? Wondering if there is a trick to this before I get frustrated and become "creative".

I will post a pic of the assembly after work today.

I think after I get this issue resolved/repaired things will start moving along at a nice clip.

Thanks for the help!

My rescue thread is on this forum if you are interested in checking it out. . .I will post a link later tonight.

I can't tell from your description for sure but some South Bend handles are held on with a special nut with a slot and the shaft hole all the way thru. They are removed with a forked type of screwdriver. You can take a regular screwdriver and cut the center part of the blade out. A modified bit on an impact driver would be better, as the slots are often damaged by previous removals. There are some small 'security' bits made like that but I have not seen larger ones. Once the nut is removed the handle slides off, it is kept from rotating on the shaft by a small Woodruf key.
    Don Young

Comment

Thanks Don. . .sounds like I'll be modifying an impact driver bit in the very near future.

Comment

Call me crazy, but I have always thought of both handles and feed screws as disposable items. Not sure exactly how your feed screw setup is, but having made several I can attest that neither is not overly difficult, and you will end up with zero wear. I would say the same for the handle. If its broken, dinged, or bent either make your own or call a dealer or two, search craigs, or even ebay for a replacement. SBs are like Bports, not too much is "rare" or difficult to obtain. If you dont care much about keeping the original shape/size, some of the various industrial sources (MSC, McMaster, Enco etc) also sell generic chrome handles. If you make your own, I am partial to a polished stainless finish, nickel, or brass plating if you have a local shop you can barter with.

If youre careful and the lathe is functional but worn already, you should be able to use it to make its own replacement parts.
        Last edited by justanengineer; 04-20-2012, 12:31 AM.
        "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Justanengineer. . .I will definitely be making new parts. . .I just don't want to do more work than is necessary/required. That is not to say that I'm gonna cut any corners. . .I'm not, but there is a lot still left to be done on this lathe and making new parts just to make new parts when the existing parts are either repairable or re-useable isn't the route I'm gonna go. . .

. . .keep watching as I get this thing put back together and then painted. . .sounds like you might like what this thing is gonna end up looking!

Comment

Working...
          X