Huanyang VFDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huanyang VFDs

The 3hp Huanyang VFD on my Harrison L5 has been working well for some time, but there are a couple of niggles.

A more complete english manual has been posted on-line;

http://www.etech.net.au/Huanyang/Hua...h_Manual-c.pdf

My main niggle is the drive tripping on decelleration (if I've got the 4 jaw on)due to exceeding the DC bus limit. I may get around to installing the braking components, but until then I've spotted a setting in the new manual. You can set an anti-stall on acceleration, so if the inverter exceeds it's 150% current limit it will stop accelerating until the current falls. There's a similar setting for decelleration, it will pause until the voltage drops below the bus limit.

Most if not all of these drives sourced via ebay do not have the braking components installed. They also usually have auxillary relays missing and the RS485 comms chip. Information on retrofitting these components can be found in the Mach3 plugin thread; http://www.machsupport.com/forum/ind...c,14182.0.html
    Paul Compton
    www.morini-mania.co.uk
    http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Thanks. That may be helpful!

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

I bought a 3HP model when I was installing my SB13 lathe. The price was an astounding 1/3 of the price of my 2HP Lenze AC Tech drive. I did not expect much from the drive but I did need a 3HP yesterday at a price that I could afford to throw it away if my automation skills failed. Surprise! the drive has functioned flawlessly for 3 mo. (I still expect the worst considering the price)
      All my braking components are installed the drive is capable of bringing the lathe to a sudden shuddering halt. I am missing some of the diagnostic functions like the drive temperature however all the remote functions work to the point where the controls on my drive are completely duplicated on a remote switch box.
      The new manual link posted is still written in a dialect of Chinglish that defies translation making programing a challenge and not for the uninitiated.

Last edited by MetalMunger; 04-19-2012, 05:48 PM.

Comment

That is a nice bit of panel work there but I think you have overcooked the switches.

You need one switch, center off, left for forward, right for reverse.....OK I might conceed the mushroom.
        "...do you not think you have enough machines?"

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMunger
          All my braking components are installed the drive is capable of bringing the lathe to a sudden shuddering halt.
          I've just collected the two 1.5Kw drives for my Myford MG12 cylindrical grinder. I've only opened one so far, the RS485 chip is present, but it is lacking the components needed for dynamic braking (DC injection braking is still avaiable of course). The CPU board is a different design with the addition +5 and +24 volt terminals and provision for only one auxillary relay (present).

One relay (SPCO) should be enough to create the interlocks I need between hydraulic pump, wheelhead and workhead.
          Paul Compton
          www.morini-mania.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Davidhcnc
            That is a nice bit of panel work there but I think you have overcooked the switches.

You need one switch, center off, left for forward, right for reverse.....OK I might conceed the mushroom.
            Ahh.
            Some switches are not shown, like da feet brake footy sw. With a maintained contact as you describe a true E-Stop circuit cannot be implemented without difficulty also there is the danger of the unit being stopped due to a power failure, circuit breaker or other and restarting when power is restored.
            An E-Stop or mushroom sw. within reach might have made a diff to the girl who got sucked into the lathe by her hair, maybe not. I will opt for over design and allow Murphy to bypass my humble shop.

Comment

Originally posted by EVguru
              I've only opened one so far, the RS485 chip is present, but it is lacking the components needed for dynamic braking (DC injection braking is still avaiable of course).
              All That is needed is the DC injection Braking. You must however read the manual 4 times in a cemetery in New Orleans at midnight and make a deal with Marie Laveau. I had to experiment several times with the settings when at last you hit on the right combo the drive can stop an 8" 4-Jaw chuck NOW!
              As I said not for the uninitiated.
              Do not forget to wire an E-Stop, Murphy lurks.

Comment

I've found DC injection braking to be ineffective on some drives.

Best bet is to fit a braking resistor, you can then set the decel ramp as low as you want. Having the spindle stop rapidly is nice.

You don't need to buy their braking resistor. I've used cheap cartridge heaters on many installations, just find a cartridge heater with similar resistance to what's on their chart and mount it to the panel. On a lathe you won't be cycling the drive on and off rapidly so the heater won't get hot and you shouldn't need any heatsink.

Chris

Comment

Glad you posted this as I bought 5-4 HP drives for $126ea/delv on ebay. Don't have the tools placed yet so I haven't used them. This will help a lot. Thanks!
                  "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                  world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                  country, in easy stages."
                  ~ James Madison

Comment

One good thing about DC injection is the speed of stopping....

In the regular way of things, the drive can generally only *decelerate* at the same rate as the drive can *accelerate* the same load. Decel is essentially "accel with a minus sign", and the same current limits etc apply.

Depending on the amount of DC injected, the stopping can vary from pretty darn quick, to nearly an instant stop.

In fact, a competitor to the hated "Sawstop" uses it, and stops with a "slam".

The disadvantage is that DC injection puts a lot of heat in the rotor if done very often.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

All That is needed is the DC injection Braking.
                      The manual is better than the one for a Eurotherm drive I have!

DC injection braking only works from the 'stopping frequency' which cannot be set higher than 10Hz.
                      Paul Compton
                      www.morini-mania.co.uk

Comment

there is the danger of the unit being stopped due to a power failure, circuit breaker or other and restarting when power is restored.
                        There's a setting in the inverter for auto-restart.
                        Paul Compton
                        www.morini-mania.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by morehelium
                          Best bet is to fit a braking resistor, you can then set the decel ramp as low as you want. Having the spindle stop rapidly is nice.
                          Most if not all of these drives sourced via ebay do not have the braking components installed.
                          I've just collected the two 1.5Kw drives for my Myford MG12 cylindrical grinder. I've only opened one so far, the RS485 chip is present, but it is lacking the components needed for dynamic braking (DC injection braking is still avaiable of course).
                          Fitting a braking resistor will do excactly NOTHING!

There is a freewheel diode, an IGBT, an IGBT gate driver and a couple of gate protection zenners missing missing from the circuit board.
                          Paul Compton
                          www.morini-mania.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by EVguru
                            There's a setting in the inverter for auto-restart.
                            Yup that parameter is set but do you think that someone who was trained to think "that if belts are good and suspenders are good belts and suspenders must be better" won't have external circuitry to a device that can fail to a "Run" condition?
                            All I can say about the braking at this point is that if your getting any injection braking keep fiddling with the parameters it was not a single setting that did it for me but changing several.
                            I am sure that these drives are "seconds" or that as rumored fell off the assembly line and that eventually that the magic smoke will leave the box, at that point I will buy another AC Lenz drive.

Comment

All I can say about the braking at this point is that if your getting any injection braking keep fiddling with the parameters it was not a single setting that did it for me but changing several.
                              So what setting are you using for PD-028? (stopping frequency)
                              Last edited by EVguru; 04-20-2012, 08:39 AM.
                              Paul Compton
                              www.morini-mania.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X