Tesla parking only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tesla parking only

I was in Anacortes and Seattle for four days last week. The rain gods put a temporary hold on precipitation, so I was deprived of the drizzle I was looking forward to.

I walked down a viaduct from Capitol Hill to the Cascade District and looked down upon this telephone pole with a steel anti-split staple hammered into the top. I've never seen one of these before. How is it made?

I went to a family wedding at the Willow Lodge in Woodinville, near the Red Hook Brewery, and perhaps near the shop of our Kiwi forum member Lakeside53. The lodge must have an exotic clientele, judging from this parking slot outside reserved for Tesla drivers who are handicapped.

Last edited by aostling; 04-19-2012, 03:07 PM.
    Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Anyone who drives a Tesla is handicapped in a way!
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest
      Only if racing against a Porsche 911. Here I am, just about to have the driving experience of my life, in the 2010 Porsche 911 Carrera S which my cousin's husband Bill recently bought. He got it for $89,000 because it had been sitting on the lot in Bellevue for almost two years. It had only 240 miles on the odometer then; now it has about 4,000 miles.

I asked Bill how fast it would go. He said it would do zero to 60 in 4.2 seconds. Top speed is 190 mph but he has not taken anywhere near that. He drove me to downtown Anacortes, and then switched places. I then drove it all around the island, never speeding much, but occasionally punching the throttle (which seemed like nothing less than an instant speed dial).

You are lucky – you can go as fast as you want on the German autobahns. Do you have one of these cars too, or do you get your jollies riding your lawnmower?

Last edited by aostling; 04-19-2012, 03:11 PM.
      Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by aostling
        I was in Anacortes and Seattle for four days last week. The rain gods put a temporary hold on precipitation, so I was deprived of getting the drizzle I was looking forward to.

Hey, we spend a fortune convincing outsiders that it always rains in Sealtle. Don't go destroying all our hard work

I went to a family wedding at the Willow Lodge in Woodinville, near the Red Hook Brewery, and perhaps near the shop of our Kiwi forum member Lakeside53.

Almost with spitting distance! I didn't get the invite

Comment

It's funny to see where they put those charging stations. There is one in a shopping center near us, and they made the space 1.5 times the normal width. I guess the person installing them had never seen the Tesla, the leaf or other EVs.

At the San Diego airport I saw a similar sign about 5 years ago. It was at a charging station with a sign saying it was only for cars with the yellow hybrid carpool lane sticker. There were no cars on the road that were plug in hybrids 5 years ago, so no one could use the charger.

Personally, I think the small supercar is a perfect match with electric drive train. Why?

1) Most people I've talked to who own a Ferrari, Lamborghini or Lotus use them for sport driving, not for highway cruising. They really are not practical for making long trips. Heck, many of them are not at all comfortable, with the stiff suspension and racing seats. A one or two hour drive on a weekend is what most manage to do.

2) The electric can give the thrill that only instant acceleration can give.

The Tesla is not a replacement for all cars, but in it's niche it sounds like a blast.

Dan
          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest
            Yeah, they tend to walk in circles from the heavy wallet in their pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by macona
              Yeah, they tend to walk in circles from the heavy wallet in their pocket.
              LOL! Jensen has one - he's into exotic sports cars...
              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Aostling, that pole is quite old and the colour is from creosote. The star is installed hydraulically, one in each end of the pole. Railway ties are/were treated the same way except they were S-irons. they were installed before the poles/ties went into the pressurized creosoting chambers. Purpose is/was to resist checking, which would allow premature rotting. The star is just bent up and welded, or formed from a ring of steel tube.
                Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

Originally posted by Duffy
                  The star is just bent up and welded, or formed from a ring of steel tube.
                  The steel tube method is clever. The insert-edge could be sharpened in a lathe first. I'd like to see the fixture for bending the rings into a five-lobed pattern.

Seattle streets are blighted by a dense network of poles and lines, even outside the mansions of Capitol Hill where you might expect the residents to pay for underground wiring.
                  Last edited by aostling; 04-19-2012, 07:51 PM.
                  Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Only if racing against a Porsche 911. Here I am, just about to have the driving experience of my life, in the 2010 Porsche 911 Carrera S which my cousin's husband Bill recently bought. He got it for $89,000 because it had been sitting on the lot in Bellevue for almost two years. It had only 240 miles on the odometer then; now it has about 4,000 miles.
                    I'm pretty sure that is the same car I took a spin in (I live in Bellevue), but regardless, what a hoot and a half that thing is!

Comment

I want to drive one of these and there was ever only one

http://www.lamborghini.com/en/models...or-j/overview/

Watch the video too
                      Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

Originally posted by dp
                        I'm pretty sure that is the same car I took a spin in (I live in Bellevue), but regardless, what a hoot and a half that thing is!
                        A hoot indeed. You could have taken the car on 84th Ave NE by the Overlake G.C. That's where a Medina cop stopped Bill Gates for speeding, then gave him an additional ticket for not having insurance!
                        Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Working...
                        X