Need a recommendation for a pulley puller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a recommendation for a pulley puller

Guys, I am looking for a pulley puller to remove a step pulley from my drill press. If somebody can recommend me a decent inexpensive puller I would highly appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Alex

Are you SURE that you need a puller? I just took the pulley from a little Delta unit and I found, after MUCH struggle , that it was retained on a short taper by a LEFT HAND nut. remove nut, light tap with deadblow hammer and done!
    Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

For occasional use, the Harbor Freight puller sets work OK. The threads on the finger joints are loose, so they tend to fall apart each time you use them, but just finger-tighten them each time.
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I'd just use a threaded rod/bolt and a couple of pieces of scrap.

If you are using a three jaw type, put a plate (like found on a bearing splitter) behind the pulley -the zamac junk tends to break with pullers if you grip the outer edges.

Comment

Really any of the pullers work and are fine. The less expensive models just take more fiddling. Those are the ones that bolt together. It'll feel like you need four hands! The best ones for ease of use are the "posilock" ones. They have a way of locking the jaws at position so the third and fourth hands are no longer needed. They're very expensive, though, so probably not worth occassional use (~100$ up). I've got a maybe 30 or 40$ craftsman one. One recommendation is to buy bigger than you might need. The one you just bought will undoubtedly not have enough reach for the next job

Comment

Rip some thin hardwood wedges then very carefully apply pressure by tapping them both evenly to see if it will move. Those pulleys are fragile.
            A bearing splitter would be best, but i doubt you'd have room to get one in there.
            Also check if you have a manual or find one online to see if there is a set screw "UNDER" the pully, some presses had that.

Comment

Pulley puller, on a Tapered shaft ???

Loosen what ever bolts and nuts or fastening devices that may be present to hold the pulley to the shaft.
              Have assistant hold pulley with the motor in the air. (assistant's elbows on the knees while assistant in the sitting position.).
              Strike end of shaft with an Oak or other Hardwood 2x4 and a 3 lb. hammer.
              Deliver a "SMART BLOW". The pulley should pop and the motor should land on the assistants ankles-shoes-floor below.
              If no sucess get a bigger hammer.
              Straight shaft, use a softer piece to deliver the blow to the shaft. Do not strike hard enough to mushroom motor shaft. Use a baulk of wood or Aluminum.
              When done, throw beater out.
              Use a helper w/ elbows on knees.

K Liv
              Last edited by polepenhollow; 04-19-2012, 09:28 PM.

Comment

A few years back my employer (company) sold the corporate HQ building and left a lot of surplus stuff for employees to take. I took a small Rockwell drill press, which was in need of some work.

I don't remember now where I got it (borrowed/bought/or rent), but I used a pneumatic donut shaped thingy to try to push off the pulley. The donut worked great, ...too great in fact! Unbeknownst to me there was still a hidden set screw holding the pulley, and I ended up cracking it. That pulley had two V shaped splines (male) for engaging the shaft. I was never able to find a replacement.

The moral is, Look for set screws!!

I had forgotten all about that donut thingy til just now. ...wonder where that is?

Comment

Yes, ALWAYS look for hidden set screws under other set screws.

What brand & model drill press is it? Perhaps you can find some info on the Vintage Machinery website.

http://vintagemachinery.org/home.aspx

Comment

Working...
                  X