Brass Plaque Restoration Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brass Plaque Restoration Help Needed

This brass plaque is part of an antique piston ring gauge fixture I acquired in a misc lot from an auction. I am trying to figure out the best way to clean it up.
    The material appears to be .023" thick brass.

I tried using some powdered brass cleaner on the right side, where it is lighter, but it removes the dark contrast from around the markings.
    The markings seem to be raised, but only slightly. You can just barely feel them dragging a fingernail across, not enough to paint it then sand the high spots.
    Any ideas how to restore this piece?
    Thanks,

Tadd

restoration

I have rescued a few precision tools from e bay.On this piece,I would try to polish it with some "Flitz".Usually available at any decent gunshop.It action is such that it will not lift bluing,or discolor non ferrous materials.Cheers!

Comment

What ever you use check the ingredients for ammonia. If it contains ammonia, make sure you clean every trace of that off after using it and then put a light coating of oil or silicone on the piece. Ammonia attacks the zinc in the brass if left on.

Pops

Comment

This item may be photo etched.....

You may have to clean it to bare and then have the background color re-applied.
        Allans Rule: Anything worth doing is going to be a pain in the butt.

Comment

Working...
        X