Done with snap-on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Done with snap-on

Iv always defended snap on tool corp., and I still think they are amongst the highest quality tools one can buy but the service just plain sucks...

Iv been carrying around a couple tools I needed replacing - a broken plastic handle ratchet and a 12mm short socket and I wanted to buy a 12mm deep cuz I lost mine under the hood of something or somewhere,

Anyways - so yesterday I see the snap on guy pulling into a sub shop - by the time I get all turned around he's already in there ordering so I waited patiently outside so he could eat in peace --- about a half hour later he comes out and I tell him I need to buy a socket and get somethings replaced --- it's been years since Iv had too, So - he immediately tells me NO-GO on the ratchet cuz they only warranty the heads, then he does not have a replacement 12mm shallow well --- then he doesn't have a 12 deep that I can buy,,,, so were batting 3 for 3 here... and there's not a care about any of it - just the way it is... So --- im done ------ that's all, now I join the many of you who have ranted in the past... great tools - but they need to clamp down on the guys peddling them if they want to re-gain my loyalty...

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer
    ................I still think they are amongst the highest quality tools one can buy but the service just plain sucks...

great tools - but they need to clamp down on the guys peddling them if they want to re-gain my loyalty...
    Kicked Snap-on to the curb over 20 years ago. Same reasons. I worked for a company that had $50,000 in snap-on tools among 3 other brands. Dismal servcie and warranty issues up the wazoo until we stumbled on the Western Canada office and distribution warehouse. then we dealt with the warehouse direct, but the whole experience soured me on Snap-on. The only snap-on on my place was a freebee...
    Design to 0.0001", measure to 1/32", cut with an axe, grind to fit

Comment

Yep I worked in the auto business for a dealer for 10 years and about the second year I kicked Snap-off to the curb. I found NAPA and Sears had a better replacement program.

Comment

isn't it spelled Strap-on? I see these things hit kijiji, boxes they paid thousands for with nascar drivers or harley paint jobs, or the strap on 'collectors edition' of gold wrenches, man someone drank the Kool-Aid.

I'm not a mechanic but I have some strap on stuff, picked up along the way with other purchases. They're nice, but the fit and finish on Canadian tire's high end line seems to be as good as is the warranty, probably similar to Sears for my American friends. For all we know it all comes out of the same plant.

The stunning part is after creating the best known, highest margin brand of mechanical Kool-Aid they're not 100% "yes sir, no sir, three bags full" when it comes to service. If ever there should be a firm embrasing the business model of 'the customer is always right, keep the customer happy' theyh should be it. Dummies.
        in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

They never warranted the ratchets as far as I know, I had to pay for new guts for mine that was a gift(broken).
          The Snap-on guys around here were not like the one you had though.
          I never had a Snap-on tool break anyway.
          Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

Funny story but true about Snap On.

On the Ford D series truck the stabilised supply for the instruments was a small module on the back of the Tacho.

Because they never gave you enough cable to work with and they were sealed both ends, the dash only pulled out about 3" and that was all the space you had to work with.
            The two hex head screws holding this module was 1/4" A/F, a size not common here.

So I bought a tiny double open ended spanner off Snap on just for this job. Beautiful looking spanner about 1 1/2" long with two different offsets on each end for working in a confined space.

So next D series came in with instruments going haywire [ dead common fault ] and I get my lovely spanner out hold it between index finger and thumb and proceed to undo said screw.

PING

One jaws snaps off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Managed to find it and stuck it onto the spanner with a bit of blu-tak to stop it getting lost.

Next time the Snap On guy calls in gave it him to swap, he takes one look at it and says I've had a tube on it !!!!!!!!!! A tube on a spanner 1 1/2" long in a place you can only get a finger and thumb ?

Got it swapped eventually and pissed him off.

To be honest I didn't like the stuff, too high priced and too tempting when out on site, working on trucks you can't keep an eye out all the while because you are too spread out.

I used to buy a brand called Kamasa Industrial, they were black, not shiny, no chrome to cut your hands, hardly ever broke, decent returns policy for breakages but a 1/4 the price of snap on and the tea leaves never stole the black ones.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

As a former line tech with WAY more Snap-on, Mac, Matco, than I will ever fess up to. I have had my share of dealings with simple minded chrome slingers.

However, I need to know the meaning of this statement " tea leaves never stole the black ones" Keith

Comment

cockney rhyming slang tea leaves =(thieves.) Alistair ps I am sure the kamasa ones I bought in the past were chrome John.
                Last edited by Alistair Hosie; 04-20-2012, 04:34 PM.
                Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver
                  They're nice, but the fit and finish on Canadian tire's high end line seems to be as good as is the warranty, probably similar to Sears for my American friends. For all we know it all comes out of the same plant.
                  Ive been through the Kenosha plant several times, and have said exactly that due to the lack of activity, but its only in recent years that theyve been forced to admit that a lot of it is made offshore.

A personal favorite rant of mine has been their ownership of the JH Williams name (bc I collect it). They bought the rights to the classic US company and put it on tools that were made 100% offshore (mostly China) initially to play games with their "domestic" product line. They then got caught mixing the products, so now you can buy Chinese SO and US Williams or vice versa. The hilarious part to me though, is that they must be forecasting their own demise as last year they changed the name of the parent company from "SnapOn Tool Group" to "JH Williams Tool Group," taking on the name of the originally "cheap" subsidiary.

Ive had a lot of SO, but in recent years have sold most of it to fund buying a higher quantity of other better quality and less expensive brands. I think Strap-On would be appropriate, scarey what the goonies find "collectible." Personally, if a tool is in production, its not considered a collectible to me.
                  "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie
                    cockney rhyming slang tea leaves =(thieves.) Alistair ps I am sure the kamasa ones I bought in the past were chrome John.
                    Yes Alistair me old mate.
                    Kamasa did a general DIY range that were chrome but also did an industrial range and all the tools in this range were black.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by 383 240z
                      As a former line tech with WAY more Snap-on, Mac, Matco, than I will ever fess up to. I have had my share of dealings with simple minded chrome slingers.

However, I need to know the meaning of this statement " tea leaves never stole the black ones" Keith
                      "Tea Leaves" = Thieves. Rhyming slang! Wait till you embrace the equivilent in Parliamo Glasgow. A similar slang from Glasgow, Scotland. Only a 380 mile distance between the Cockney vernacular in and around London, England and Glasgow??
                      Click on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMnKPnPhhYw

Comment

A fish rots from the head

The behavior of Snap-On reps only mirrors the corporate attitude. I was the site manager for a facility that was sub-leased from Snap-On. We were putting in a new air conditioning system (central chiller) and power transformer, as well as replacing the leaking 400' x 4" gas main that went from one building to the other, all at our expense. This all required some significant excavation, and as the facility sat on an EPA Superfund site, a geotechnical company was required to monitor all excavation and make sure that any contaminated soil was properly disposed of. Ultimately, the cost of monitoring and disposal was to be paid by Shell Oil, who are the successor company to the synthetic rubber plant that made the mess in the first place. The current property owners were indemnified by Shell, Snap-On was indemnified by the property owners, and we were indemnified by Snap-On, all per the terms of our sub-lease with Snap-On, their lease with the owners, and the EPA's agreement with Shell. Except Snap-On refused to honor the terms of the sub-lease that they wrote and signed. All they had to do was pass the bills up the chain, but that was too much hassle for the Wisconsin pricks! We were under the gun to get the facility up and running, so we just sucked it up and paid, as we couldn't afford to wait. We actualy had our attorney call their attorney,who said that "yes, it says we will, but we won't." My only consolation was they had already lost a ton of money on this site. They had set up a training and sales facilty there to showcase the big emissions, body shop, and service lifts, as well as be the regional warehouse. the problem was they were depending on the route salesmen to send customers there for training, but then they would sell anything from the catalog directly to the customers, cutting out the route guys. It was less than 1 year into a ten year lease that they had to bail. Serves them right!
                        Davis

"Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself"

Comment

As far as I know, Snap-off HAS no warranty........

The route guys handle the warranty, at their discretion. If a new guy takes over, he can (and often does) refuse to warrant anything the prior guy sold.... he only has to cover what HE sells (at his discretion).

If you didn't buy it on that route at all, you can basically forget it..... they'll tell you to go find the guy who sold it and talk to him.

Mebbe the Snap-off guys are different elsewhere.

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

Snap-on....
                            30 years ago I purchased a #2 philips screwdriver from them...
                            back then most motorcycles had the phil-slips screws..
                            the snap-on was the only one at the time any good...
                            at $10.00 my dad though I was crazy...still got it
                            and it still is in perfect condition

" could unscrew everything but the girlfriend..."
                            please visit my webpage:
                            http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Comment

Although I worked for some yrs. as a mechanic I never joined the cult, and that is what it has become. I suppose the quality was good enough, but those sharp edge wrenches hurt my hands if I really had to bear down.

There were the two Old Maids that got excited when they heard about Snap On tools.
                              James

Comment

Working...
                              X