• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilling question:

Just wondering how many here use "Screwmachine length" or "Stub drills"

to gain more "Z" height on your'e mill?

Any pros or cons to using them ?

thanks.

They're not nearly so bendy, so I use 'em most of the time by choice. Makes it easier to hit the target. I reach for the jobber length for jobs where I think I might dull the bit on mystery metal, and, of course when I need the length. The jobbers are somewhat less expensive than other lengths.
    Cheers,

Frank Ford
    HomeShopTech

Comment

+1 on that

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

+2... I rarely use "jobber" length, not for the added "z", but because they are stiffer.

Comment

I use them almost exclusively for the reasons already mentioned. I rarely need the depth of a jobbers drill.

Comment

The 1/2inch jobbers drills seem to be all 6 inches long, compared to the 1/2in "Stub Drills" @ 3 3/4 inches, quite a difference.

Comment

Fraction and Number sizes

Except when I need the length, I use 135 degree split point Screw machine length. As a rule I never pilot drill but just drill to size. Having a Darex M5 to resharpen is a bonus.

Comment

Agree on them being more rigid , but a lot of the time it depends on how much room there is after setup etc.
                Michael

Comment

I'll just say that my local supply shop has started stocking screw machine length, now.

Pops

Comment

The only con I see with useing screw machine length drills is your spotting drills will feal neglected LoL
                    Craftsman 101.07403
                    Grizzly G0704
                    4x6 Bandsaw

Comment

Hold them in an ER chuck and you may not have to crank the Z up or down when swapping from an endmill.
                      Paul Compton
                      www.morini-mania.co.uk
                      http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Comment

Working...
                      X