Looking for a Motor is it even made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a Motor is it even made

I am looking for a electric motor . But don`t even know if what I want even exist.
    A universal motor ,between 1 1/2 - 2 1/4 inches in diameter no more than 3 inches long .Shaft 3/16 - 5/16 diameter . A reversible motor may be 1/8 HP are better. Here i don`t know bus something kind of stout.
    I can find lots of odd voltage DC motors 12V 24 V 36 V and so on but I need something that will run on 110 house current.
    Can any one tell me where to begin to look. I have checked Granger Surplus Center and looked on e-bay . Cant find what i want . Even tried Google with no luck. No sure how to word what I am looking for.
    Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
    http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
    http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Vacuum cleaner motor.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

A sewing machine motor comes close to your requirements. They even came with a rheostat for speed control.

Comment

Bill just beat me to it, as i thought also of sewing machine motors, but i'm sure in the few i have saved for a project, there are possibly stronger ones, as the regular ones wouldn't have much torque, however you didn't post what the application would be used for.

This sounds like an interesting project.

Comment

If you want something smaller look at the Dremel or small routers, one thing you will have to do on most is to bring the armature and fields out separately in order to achieve a reverse.
          Swap the field in respect to the armature.
          Most of these have the variable speed built in.
          Max.

Comment

Sewing machine motors don`t have enough power and I thank the vacuum cleaner motor is too big . Also need about 1700 RPM . But thanks any way .
            Yes I know looking for something for my little shapers I am building . Bought something but too big 3.000 dia and 4 inches long and too fast around 3800 RPM . Need something about the size of a motor in a cordless drill but not as fast . They run too fast. DC stuff has to have a controller and don`t want to have to fool with what I don`t know about.
            Last edited by lane; 04-21-2012, 10:27 PM.
            Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
            http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
            http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

1700rpm is commonly a much lower rpm for a universal motor that operates in a runaway condition.
              You could seek a smaller PM DC motor rated for 90vdc and use a mains driven DC controller such as KB or Baldor, there are some fairly cheap on ebay.
              Max.

Comment

Lane, i just went and checked through my little collection of little motors.

I found two around the size you are asking about, one is off a shoe machine, (sewing leather) ? i presume, it shows .5 amps. The other is off a meat slicer but right angle drive it is .7 amps.

I'm sure there HAS to be other motors somewere that are what you are looking for.

Comment

Forgot to mention there is no RPM mentioned on either of these motors.

Comment

I'm thinking electric drill or 110 volt starter motor from a lawn mower or snow blower

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.

Comment

Wondering? Possibly a trip to a couple of electric motor rebuild shops,, they could very well know of what you are searching for.

Comment

Personally I think you are going to have a problem with a requirement of 1.5" - 2.5" dia and 1700rpm 1/8"hp without going with a PM motor of some sort.
                        Max.

Comment

A BarB-Q motor fits the size. I don't know about the HP or the rpm before the gearing.

Comment

Sewing machine motor is now a SB toolpost grinder complete with reostat.
                            A good rpm but it does light cuts perfect.

Comment

Buy a corded drill, either new or pawn shop/garage sale

Keep the gearbox to get you down from the 10,000rpm the motor runs at and the 1800rpm you want (most cheap drills are around that these days)

Will come with reverse (usally) and maybe even speed control (if you can call it that)
                              Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Working...
                              X