spiral bevel worm gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spiral bevel worm gear

this is the first time I've seen one like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-Dvw...endscreen&NR=1
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

I am fairly certain it is a hypoid, like in most automotive differentials.

Dave

Comment

I imagine it is- I've just never seen one with that high of a ratio.
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by becksmachine
        I am fairly certain it is a hypoid, like in most automotive differentials.

Dave
        Not only a Hypoid but an Offset Hypoid.

When we built rear ends at work I was always amazed that the pinions being cut on the Gleason's despite being held with a center in the gear end and a collet (around .750 IIRC) on the drive shaft end of the part would never once squeal or make any other noise. Just the faintly heard sound of the chips coming off of the part and hitting the collection pans. IMO Gleason's are the single most logically designed machine tool I have ever seen. If the was a problem in one are of the machine simply by removing a number of screws and 2 or more dowel pins a whole section of the machine could be slid right out.
        Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Originally posted by Spin Doctor
          Not only a Hypoid but an Offset Hypoid.

When we built rear ends at work I was always amazed that the pinions being cut on the Gleason's despite being held with a center in the gear end and a collet (around .750 IIRC) on the drive shaft end of the part would never once squeal or make any other noise. Just the faintly heard sound of the chips coming off of the part and hitting the collection pans. IMO Gleason's are the single most logically designed machine tool I have ever seen. If the was a problem in one are of the machine simply by removing a number of screws and 2 or more dowel pins a whole section of the machine could be slid right out.
          Let me display some ignorance here, what is it that makes it an "offset hypoid"? As opposed to just hypoid?

I did notice, it looks like the pinion has two teeth, or is it two start?

Dave

Comment

Working...
          X