Need parts for Atlas TH42

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need parts for Atlas TH42

I got an Atlas TH42 about a year ago and have been slowly learning to use it. Tonight I was going to cut a metric thread and found the reversing gear for the lead screw is broken. I don't think I have ever had it in reverse and it was probably that way when I bought it (like I said, I am new to this and I got it and a lot of tooling cheap). Does anyone make new gears for these or am I going to be hunting ebay? I did see a whole new reversing gear box on ebay but it was about what I paid for the lathe.

Taking it apart looks straight forward. I am more a mechanic than a machinist. Is there anything else I should be looking at while I have it apart? Eventually I would like to by a better lathe when I learn more, so I don't want to put an arm and a leg into this one.

After a little digging, I found my parts list from 1945 that came with the lathe, It states the gears I need are part 9-48B (I know it is bad) and maybe part 9-47 (I can't tell until I take it apart). To bad I can't get them for the grand total of $1.90 it listed.

Comment

It may take a while to find your specific parts but there are a lot of used Atlas parts sold on EBay.
      Don Young

Comment

Clausing in Kalamazoo has it in stock. Atlas bought Clausing & took their name. Robin will take care of you & ask & she'll send a manual & parts list by e-mail. Let me know if you can't find the number. I have the same lathe for sale.
        "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
        world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
        country, in easy stages."
        ~ James Madison

Comment

Sounds great. I found their web site and just set them an email. I will keep my fingers crossed that they have them. Thank you.

If they don't have them, I guess it will be time to learn to make gears. I am just not sure I am ready for that yet. That and keeping my eye on ebay.

Comment

They'll have it but if not I have the number of a guy that parts out Atlas tools. He sells on Ebay but cheaper off Ebay. Let me know.
            ~ James Madison

Comment

I just got them ordered and on the way. Price has gone up sense the 70 year old price sheet I had. They where $120 instead of $1.90 but at least they are still available.

Thanks again.

Comment

One thing about Atlas: I wanted a new set of pulley/sheaves for the motor & countershaft. These were nicely machined new parts, not old zamac moulded ones, and not the cone pulley set. So there are times when the really do make things to keep us happy.
                gvasale

Comment

I stopped at Clausing today for a spring & plunger for the H42 I'm selling. Total of $2 out the door. I was headed to pick my new old stock Atlas 10100 6"x21" lathe. I can't believe I found a never used 40 year old lathe. Now I'll probably part with the 618 although I hate to It's almost like new. We'll see.
                  ~ James Madison

Comment

Working...
                  X