file handles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• file handles

I picked up some small file handles at the N.A.M.E.S. show on Sat. 3 for $1.00. When I got home and had a better look at them, nice hard wood handles and a metal furl on the end, I found that they are the "screw on" type. They have a 1/8 hole in the end of a hardened metal insert and you screw the file tang into it. They really grip well but only on the end of the tang. Most file handle of the straight wood type go right up the tang until it is near the base of the file.

Is there a "proper" method to mount these IE: shorten the tang and grind it to a smaller diameter or is just screwing the handle on the end of the tang the right way (doesn't seem right to me) to do it.

No great lose if I can't use them, I only have $12.00 invested in 36 holders but I would like to make use of them.

P.S. Is it normal to put handles on Swiss pattern needle files or are they just left bare. I have seen them both ways????
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

I put a small wirenut on my tiny files. Still better than jamming it in your hand.

Sorry, can't answer the handle question. I have a few of the handles like you refer to, but I just screw them in and use them as is. Again, anything is better than skewering your hand (ask me how I know this).

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut
      Is there a "proper" method to mount these . . .
      You really need a handle sized for the file tang. Sounds to me like you have handles for pretty small files. Just using the tip of the tang will be awkward at best.

Comment

you've just got the wrong size for the file, they come in various sizes that fit various sized file tangs

Comment

Loose nut I love “screws on” file handles, the come in all sizes. The ones you have are for small files. I have a 4” Simonds flat file they would be perfect for, I just pulled the wooden handle off to check. If memory serves me right, small 3 cornered files have a hex tang that they probably fit. Handles on pattern files, I think is just mater of preference.

Jim Connell, DeLand FL.
          Daytona Beach is near us.

You haven’t begun learn until to learn until you learn how little you know.

Comment

A compendious discussion of the topic right here:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=45790

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver
              you've just got the wrong size for the file, they come in various sizes that fit various sized file tangs
              Actually the handles themselves are the right size (same size as some other handles I have seen, these are for small files ) but the holes are to small and being staight they won't take a tapered tang, I would drill them out and tap them for a larger hole but they are quite hard, just barely drillable. It's never easy.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

Pictures may help, but I have to say they are for small files with small tangs. The overall handle for such files are not necessarily small, just the mounting hole is small. That may explain the low price as there is perhaps less call for them.

I recently picked up a small file that needs a small handle. Who did you buy them from and did they have more?

Is it just me or have file handles become harder to buy lately?
                Paul A.

Make it fit.
                You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Think i may have posted this tip here before, but, for quick, easy and cheap file handles, watch the yard/garage sales for old pool cues.
                  Lots of handles of different sizes in a pool cue.

Just cut to length, turn the end down for a furrel , drill and use.

Comment

I remember the pipe fitters version,4"-5" steel tube or pipe, and drive a dowel in to it, then drill a pilot for the tang and drive it in!!.
                    Grind a radius in the outer end.
                    Max.

Comment

Screw on handles are also my favorite, they just do not get lose as quickly and are easy to tighten. But, as mentioned, they do come in different sizes. I was at the show, must have missed them. Bob..

Comment

One of the used tool guys was selling them, he had a large supply but only put a few out at a time where they could be seen.

Comment

I'll see if I have a carbide drill and try drilling one out and tapping it, lightly.

Comment

Originally posted by tlfamm
                            A compendious discussion of the topic right here:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=45790
                            After fighting the same handle problem, and reading that thread, I just bought a bunch of the cheap Chinese 50 cent handles and hot glued them (advised in that thread). Works great!
                            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

The best file handle info. I have found is in Shop Notes Sept. 1992.

Covers making them, drilling them , making ferrules and mounting the handle. Have made a few and when they no longer stay tight, I add a bit of epoxy glue......does the trick.

http://www.shopnotes.com/plans/woods...hop-workbench/

Comment

Working...
                              X