Magnetic clock.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnetic clock.

Did any of you see Wes Bye's magnetic clock at the NAMES show that past weekend? I forgot to take a pic of it or would post it.Maybe Wes will do us a favor and post a few shots. Bob.

Well, I hope Wes is getting a commission on magazine subscriptions, I bought one because of his clock. Probably won't get around to actually building it, but will enjoy reading about it.

Neat device!!

Comment

I can post pictures, but I'd rather see other people's pictures. I am ecstatic with the reception the clock received, and indeed, there were quite a few subscriptions to DM sold because of it.

The reception has encouraged me to explore having printed circuit boards made for the electronic portion of the project. I find that I will be able to do it, and at a reasonable cost, so people who might be reluctant to hand wire a board will find it easier to build the clock. The article will still give instructions for hand wiring, but a board will also be offered.

I was surprised that some of my older projects that I exhibeted also received a lot of attention and intreats. Some of those may have sold some back issues for the magazine.

I enjoyed seeing and talking with Bob and Jim again as well as others, and meeting some of the other members from the BBS for the first time.

All in all, NAMES was a very good experience for me this year.
      Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
      ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Hi Weston:
        I talked with you for some time just before noon. You may remember that I was wearing a HMEM name tag. Yes, i went and got the last of the Spring edition, along with the Winter. I also subscribed for the next 4 issues.
        I am really impressed with your Magnetic Clock design. So impressed that I have to make one! Yesterday I drafted up almost all of the wheels, described in the Spring edition. I am doing them in CamBam and it is really easy using the detail that you have provided, and of course, the GCode is generated immediately for my home made CNC system.
        I have noticed a couple of idiosyncrasies in the drawing dimensions between the downloaded DXF files and the magazine.
        Is it OK to discuss and ask questions about the build here on the forum, or do you have an email address that I can use to contact you directly?
        Boy, I can hardly wait until the next edition to get the next group of pieces to draw and build. What a great project you have created!
        And yes, I will post pictures as soon as I start cutting metal.

George
        My Web Site
        www.mrrace.com
        Builder & Test Pilot N73EX

Comment

George,
          I do indeed remember you. Thank you for your comments and interest in the clock. I would be happy to discuss the clock here, or in Personal messages or by e-mail, and if necessary, by phone. A PM to me or an e-mail to Village Press will make contact with me for direct e-mail or phone.

I can discuss nearly anything about the clock as long as I don't get too far ahead of the published articles.

Comment

Is this the clock?

There are more pics here: http://neme-s.org/NAMES_2012/north_a...ing_page_2.htm
            Last edited by winchman; 04-26-2012, 02:50 AM.
            Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Weston Bye: how are the magnets 'toothed'?
              ie, do you have the two disks attracting with north then south magnets interleaved?

I thought of an interesting alternative of having all north magnets where the magnets from each disk would repel each other, producing magnetic 'teeth' that refuse to overlap and push each other apart.
              Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Winchman - That's the one.

Black Moons - The magnets on each wheel alternate North - South. I tried various configurations and found the N-S engagement to be the most reliable. Such an arrangement dictated even numbers of magnets on all wheels, but works for defining time as we know it. I haven't done the math, but using magnetic gears for something like an orrery might prove complicated.

To give an idea of scale, the chapter ring is just a little over 10 inches in diameter.

Comment

Evan has some fascinating posts here about magnetic coupled drives he made. Kinda hard to call them gears, but power transfer was quite remarkable for an airgap system.

Comment

Evan has some fascinating posts here about magnetic coupled drives...
                    Yep, saw them. They might have been the seed of knowledge that inspired the clock.

Comment

Winchman: Thanks for referencing the NEMES web page!

Wes: I must apologize for the so so quality of the photos. I wish I had done better justice to your work. Maybe next year will be better!

To all: The first half of the video I took at the show is rendering now, a 5 hour + trudge on my computer and will be uploade to FB as soon as it is done. I will do the rest of the video tomorrow and post it as soon as possible.
                      Errol Groff

New England Model Engineering Society
                      http://neme-s.org/

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/GroffErrol?feature=mhee

Comment

It's not only a very beautiful piece of work, but the guy standing there was about as nice as they come !

Congrats on a very special time piece, Wes !
                        enjoyed our talk

Rich
                        Green Bay, WI

Comment

Originally posted by Weston Bye
                          Yep, saw them. They might have been the seed of knowledge that inspired the clock.
                          irrispective of origin a nice clock, reminded me of a harrison h series i saw in london, well done
                          regards
                          mark

Comment

Weston, just want to clarify what I think is a difference in the magazine article and the .DXF files you have for download.

The Great Wheel on page 49, shows an outside radius of 3.381 inches.
                            The Great Wheel DXF file, det2.DXF, is drawn actual size with a 3.381 diameter.
                            I don't see a note anywhere that the DXF file is drawn 1/2 scale.

I assume that the magazine article size of 3.381 radius is correct, as the Great Wheel shows material size to be 6 13/16 in the bill of materials on page 55.

Clarification would be appreciated,
                            George
                            My Web Site
                            www.mrrace.com
                            Builder & Test Pilot N73EX

Comment

The 3.381 radius is correct.

I don't know if or how the DXF came to be in error, but I have occasionally seen DXF file transfers experience scaling errors when transferring between different CAD programs.

Comment

Working...
                              X