Fosdick drill press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fosdick drill press

I have a fosdick drill press... Can anyone tell me some history on the Fosdick machine tool company? I am interested in history, parts and manuals... I have googled it some without much luck...

Thanks

Originally posted by Marty J. Roberts
    I have a fosdick drill press... Can anyone tell me some history on the Fosdick machine tool company? I am interested in history, parts and manuals... I have googled it some without much luck...

Thanks
    They date back to at least the 1880's. Fosdick was based in Cincinnati along with many of the other tool giants of the late 1800s. I believe that in latter years (1960's?) they were acquired by R. K. LeBlond. Do you have a serial number? I may be able to date your machine.

Comment

Hi Marty,

I can't tell you much about the company, but I can tell you that I ran a few of the small radial drills over the years and consider them first rate machinery.

What model do you have? Pictures?

I have been looking for a decent deal on one but so far have had no luck.

Brian
      OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Fosdick is going to be tough. I had radial arm drill about 12 years ago, called LeBlond and they gave the name and number of the dealer. Tried to get in touch for 3-6 months-nada.
        Very beefy machines.
        Harry

Comment

First day on the job as an apprentice 36+ years ago, they put me to work drilling holes on an old Fosdick drill press. I've been gone from there over 20 years, but when a buddy took me through the shop recently, I saw that they were still using it.

Good old machines.

Comment

I cant seem to post a picture so I found an image of one simular to mine... see link:
            http://www.sterlingmachinery.com/photos.php?id=6021&p=1

Having trouble finding serial number...

Comment

bborr01

Originally posted by bborr01
              Hi Marty,

I can't tell you much about the company, but I can tell you that I ran a few of the small radial drills over the years and consider them first rate machinery.

I have been looking for a decent deal on one but so far have had no luck.

Brian
              PM sent, I have a fosdick similar to pics above

Comment

This has been an educating morning, I have figured out how to post pictures so watch out...

Here is a photo of the drill, where would the serial number be located? It is probably submerged below 60 years of paint!

Comment

Fosdick----Didn't he have a brother who was a detective? Seems to me I remember reading "Fearless Fosdick" cartoons when I was a kid 'bout a thousand years ago-----
                  Brian Rupnow

Comment

Start here: http://www.vintagemachinery.org/mfgi...?id=2622&tab=0

Comment

Originally posted by brian Rupnow
                      Fosdick----Didn't he have a brother who was a detective? Seems to me I remember reading "Fearless Fosdick" cartoons when I was a kid 'bout a thousand years ago-----
                      1934 South Bend 9" lathe, Tradesman 16 speed drill press, Grizzly 4x6" band saw. (Sad, I know...)

Comment

Wow that's anice big looking drill press ! I have one of similar design but not fosdick.I wish you lot's of years machining fun.Alistair
                        Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

mines a lot like that ..but with gear head ..

all the best.markj

Comment

I think you'll find some knowledgeable people and owners on Practical Machinist. There are a number of posts on Fosdick Drill presses mostly in the Antique machines forum.
                            "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

I need to find or make the telescoping way cover style tube protector on the vertical drive shaft soon!

Comment

Working...
                              X