chip guard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chip guard

I was talking to a guy this morning who is making some teeny-tiny parts. I joked, "I'd have to use a big Fresnel lens as a chip guard to see those things!"

Then I did a web search, and Amazon has 8x10" Fresnel lenses for $7.99.

It never seems that my bifocals have the proper steps to work the lathe comfortably. I think I'm going to order one of those lenses...

Not trying to play the devils advocate but how would You keep the chips from scratching it?

I do agree it would be neat if they would hold up!

Comment

I have a bunch of 1/8" clear Lexan I got from the hardware store. It's leftovers from a remodeling project. I've been using pieces to make chip shields; it would be simple enough to cut a piece to protect the lens.

Comment

Plus, don't fresnel lenses have one smooth side, one with the rings? Putting the smooth side towards the work would be a good start.

Maybe make a standard chip guard, and have the fresnel lens as a hinge-down or slot-in unit for the additional magnification when required?

Interesting idea!

Ian
        All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

My lathe came with one of these guys:

http://www.ocwhite.com/magnifiers/ma...down-base.html

Big, big lens, though only have used it maybe once. My up close sight is pretty darn good.

Comment

Don't get excited.....

Those lenses magnify but none of the ones I tried improve detail vision, in fact they seem to make it worse. The "fresnelization" is such that it breaks up details and makes it no easier to see than before.

Great idea, not so great actual product.

Bifocals or half-glasses of better than reading strength may do it for you.

I ended up fixing my problem. I am nearsighted. Once I got the eye doctor to make the bifocals so they were LESS powerful for close vision, I am nearly back to seeing as well with glasses up close as I do without, and don't need extra help.

For some insane reason, eye doctors call REDUCING the lens power in an area "making it stronger", and they were reluctant to "make the lenses that strong", even though it actually meant "more like window glass".

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

grocery store sapphire scanner

Originally posted by R_Audano
              Not trying to play the devils advocate but how would You keep the chips from scratching it?

I do agree it would be neat if they would hold up!
              Most grocery store laser scanners use a sheet of artificial sapphire as the window. You will Not like the price new. You will like the price used at goodwill or local junkyard, where the whole guts of a scanner might be $50. For that you get cool mirrors and motors, too.

Sapphire is hard enough that it can't be scratched by any metal chips. Go ahead, put on gloves, take a handful of chips, and rub against the sapphire, at most it'll scrape off metal onto the surface of the sapphire like a pencil lead, so you'll have to find a way to clean the sapphire. It does shatter nicely. Also grinder dust is hard enough to scratch it. So its not maintenance free and its not indestructible. Speaking of which I need to find another sheet.

Also note that most of the grocery store scanner sheets are super thin and laminated to a sheet of plain glass for strength. So point the correct side toward the chips.

Lots of supermarket scanner windows also have a red filter, sometimes you can peel it off, sometimes its part of the window and you're screwed. Hope you like looking at the color red.

Comment

As a blind old coot....

I'm anxious to hear how this works out for you. Please keep us posted as I'm a believer in the old "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".
                Allans Rule: Anything worth doing is going to be a pain in the butt.

Comment

Working...
                X