new trail post material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new trail post material

The new trail posts in South Mountain Park are the same shape and color as the old ones, but instead of being painted steel hollow sections the new posts are solid plastic.

I'm just curious, what is this material?

Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

I think it's some sort of recycled plastic. I've seen parking lot bumpers that look like that too.

Comment

If you need some of those posts for a project,, a cordless reciprecating saw at night , would get you a few!!

Comment

Originally posted by aostling
        The new trail posts in South Mountain Park are the same shape and color as the old ones, but instead of being painted steel hollow sections the new posts are solid plastic.

I'm just curious, what is this material?
        take a look at Trex or other man made decking, it looks about the same

http://www.trex.com/

Comment

yes, looks like Trex. I have some 6x6 posts made of that. One day I'll mill/turn something from them.

Comment

If it's made in China, you might get an absolutely pristine WalMart shopping bag popping out when you cut into it/start to turn it! Sorta-kinda like their "cast iron" castings...

David
            David Kaiser
            “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
            ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Yeah, it does look like that plastic decking material. I looked at some of that- don't know about anyone else, but I think it's crap. The post is probably the best use of it.
              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by fredf
                take a look at Trex or other man made decking, it looks about the same

http://www.trex.com/
                That was my impression, too. Trex makes them, though they're much more wobbly than a 4x4 of pine.

Comment

Originally posted by dp
                  That was my impression, too. Trex makes them, though they're much more wobbly than a 4x4 of pine.
                  The post did have more flexibility than I was expecting, when I gave it a nudge. I see that Trex is about half wood fiber, half plastic.
                  Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

These are not, but there is a company making a product like this using recycled car parts for post parking lot bumpers 6x6s etd. They have clean sides but on an end cut you can see wire, dash parts,etc. They were sold by Universal Forest Products. I bet they'd be hard on blades.
                    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                    country, in easy stages."
                    ~ James Madison

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch
                      If you need some of those posts for a project,, a cordless reciprecating saw at night , would get you a few!!
                      Speaking of that I was at the scapyard & they were saying some new trucks have catylitic converters worth over $1000 for scrap. I commented I need to stock up on cordless sawzalls.
                      ~ James Madison

Comment

AND------------- Be SURE to bring extra batteries!!

(no time to stop and recharge!!)

Comment

Re: Theft:

Reminds me of a funny story from many years ago:

Young guy had damaged the driveshaft in his new Hi-Po car. A new driveshaft was an exorbitant price.
                          He and a friend had spied the same almost new car on a used car lot.
                          Late one sunday night, they snuck onto the car lot, one guy keeps an eye out for anyone comming, the other guy slides under this car with the wrenches and starts undoing the "U" bolts on the driveshaft.
                          Suddenly around the corner comes an old man out walking his dog. CRAP!!
                          The old man comes strolling by, stops and looks at this guy under this car, and not knowing what to do,, the guy under the car slides out from under it, and says to his friend, "Yup,, it is undercoated", the old man says "yes , that is good," and continues on his way with his dog.

They pretend to be checking out the exterior of the car, then after a couple of minutes back under he slides, gets the new driveshaft, and end of story!

Comment

Originally posted by flylo
                            Speaking of that I was at the scapyard & they were saying some new trucks have catylitic converters worth over $1000 for scrap. I commented I need to stock up on cordless sawzalls.
                            I used a sawzall to cut the cat off my jeep a couple days ago. 5 minutes. Wish I could get $1000 for it

Comment

Me too. They told me $120 for mine & when I got there they changed it to $15 so I kept it.
                              ~ James Madison

Comment

Working...
                              X