One manufacturer (Starrett) standing behind their product

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One manufacturer (Starrett) standing behind their product

Last December 5, I purchased a protractor head for my Starrett combination square from Enco. It arrived defective,* but I didn't have time to deal with it until this month, well past the Enco expiration date.

So I sent it to Starrett in Athol, Mass: I mailed it Tues morning (April 24), and received a replacement Thurs evening (April 26) - pretty good service (I am located in New England). The oversized box contained a consolation prize: a free 18" satin-chrome blade to go with the replacement protractor.

Yea - I'm a happy camper. Thank you Starrett ...

* blade slot not square with base of the protractor.
    ================================================== =======

see "Protractor heads", lower right of page:
    http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=376&PMCTLG=00

(Starrett# CPR-1224S; Enco #319-3600)

And HELL NO I didn't pay full price - why would I do that with all of the Enco promo codes available right here?

There was a time when you could buy Starrett tools and not have to worry about quality. It was just there.

It is nice to hear that they stood behind the square, but it is too bad you had to deal with sending it back.

Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by bborr01
      There was a time when you could buy Starrett tools and not have to worry about quality. It was just there.

It is nice to hear that they stood behind the square, but it is too bad you had to deal with sending it back.

Brian
      Better that than being left wondering what to do with "today's import special". I can just imagine sending one of those back where you bought it, perhaps their distributor may send a replacement just like it or make you wait months for one.

Comment

Another fan of Starrett here. My digital micrometer, purchased 15 years ago, recently had a dead battery. In the process of changing it, I somehow entered the "calibration" mode, and seriously threw the unit out of spec. As in, a 1/2" drill bitt showed up at .62"...

I sent it to Starrett, they recalibrated it for free, and even covered the return postage for my goof; I got it back so quick they must have turned it around same-day.

They told me that if this ever happened again, instead of randomly pushing buttons to try to exit the programming mode, just pull the battery back out, and put it back in again! Sounds obvious now, but at the time....
        1934 South Bend 9" lathe, Tradesman 16 speed drill press, Grizzly 4x6" band saw. (Sad, I know...)

Comment

That is excellent service, and good to hear that these old companies are still looking after their customers.

Comment

Starrett tools

A few years back,I acquired a used 711D indicator.I shipped to Starrett,they sent a repair quote,about $75 bux.Came back a week later,better than new.They also sent the parts they replaced back with it.This is one of the principal reasons they are in business for over 135 years.You should also check out thier new website...very cool.

Comment

just to add to the fanfare, Mitutoyo will email me info but not deal with me (or anyone else). you have to to through distributors, minimum orders and 100% + markups all the way along.

Starrett otoh are great to deal with. Example: had broken plastic cover from a caliper. Phoned Starrett Canada, "oh sure, we have that part, come on by it'll be waiting for you". I get there, it is, so I ask "how much". No charge, our pleasure.

What a great group to deal with.

Comment

Glad you got your problem sorted out.
                It does raise an issue though.

With measurement tools, unless they are sent out for calibration, how do we know they are right? I've got a 2.250" "gauge block" I use but what if the calipers are wonky somewhere else?

If you buy Starrett, you need to be able to trust it, apparently your issue was easy to spot, others might not be.
                Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

By the way, Starrett will give factory tours. When I was there several years ago everyone we encountered seemed to be happy working there.
                  Greg Lewis
                  Eyeball Engineering
                  Our motto: That looks about right.
                  Turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap since 1983.

Comment

Working...
                  X