Wade Lathe.( British CAV builders)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wade Lathe.( British CAV builders)

I have just bought a Wade lathe. This little old machine seems like quite a good little one. It is the heavier one with back gear and screwcutting. Does anyone here have any experience using one of these, have any hints and tips, and maybe a sketch of how to set up the gears on the banjo, I do not have all the gears but I will obtain or make replacements for the missing ones. Regards David Powell.

There are some photo's on Lathes UK that might be a bit of help. http://www.lathes.co.uk/wade%20cva/index.html

Comment

i think Sasqatch has one also.
      "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
      world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
      country, in easy stages."
      ~ James Madison

Comment

David Powell what do you need to know?

Yes i too have a little 4x12 Wade CAV lathe. Apparently the change gears are scarce for these lathes according to Tony Griffiths lathe site, He emailed me back awhile ago asking if i had all the change gears, (Which i do,) as he wanted to know the tooth numbers on his missing information.

Joe Martins "Craftsmanship museum"
        has one, and i got another email from a guy in New Zealand that had one.
        Wondering did you get any atachments, i have the blocks that are adjustable for the faceplate?

Comment

Baby's back to life !

Well, lots of work to bring her back to life. The guide slot for the " Saddle" is badly worn and there is NO hope of removing the bed from the Aluminium end castings without major damage. So I built an extra guide, a 5/8" ground bar is held under the saddle, for the length of the bed, about 3" in front of the round bed, being mounted in split aluminium brackets which fit on the bed. I lose 3/8" of the length at the tailstock end, but nothing at the headstock because the bracket lies under the mandrel. gentle adjustment of the brackets while moving the saddle from end to end now has the guide block in the original bed pushing against the unworn opposite side. I know it is not an ideal repair, but just a "FIX". Its life before readjustment will depend entirely on how well the aluminium of the saddle holds up to being pressed against the bar and how it wears. I am now using my mike to measure the parts, I get about a thous an inch taper, much better than before, and reasonable finishes. The head stock showed cracks just starting over the main bearings, so I machined the" ART DECO" shape of the castings away, drilled and tapped a couple of holes and fitted steel straps on the top of the casting.I now have been able to properly adjust the bearings, and the adjustment stays where it is set. By setting the bearings up so that they get slightly warm if run on top speed for about 10 mins I get better finishes. Now time for a new chuck, the original really is worn out. An adventure supposed to take a few hours has consumed 3 days of hard thought and lots of work. Regards David Powell.

Comment

David, any possibility of posting a pic or two??

Yup, had a number of projects over the years that i thought also would only take a few hours, ending up in many hours and MORE $$$.

Comment

Photos.

Sasquatch, I would love to, but I have a problem, about 5 yrs ago I had a major medical issue, ( my bowel burst when I was in work) and while recovering I had a stroke. The only lingering after effect is that I have a hell of a time learning new things and retaining them. Even a new remote for a new TV seem like an up hill learning curve. The various steps to post photos end up confusing and angering me. What I have done and learned before the stroke seems to be just fine, though I am very slow at shop maths now and have to write a lot more down while doing it. I have a digital camera, my son is going to visit soon, he says he thinks he might be able to help. I will see if my wife can help me, she is physically disabled but still as sharp as a tack. Regards David.

Comment

There is no mystery to change gears. Just get gears with the same DP as the ones you have. They can be made to fit any stud on the banjo.

Comment

Thankyou for your post.

I will buy or make the missing gears. The Banjo is small yet has 4 slots. I was hoping that perhaps someone was still using one of these lathes, and could sketch out which gears go where, I can work out the ratios allright, but organising the gears looks like " FUN".I am not really bothered about the screwcutting but would like some fine feeds. Thanks for your comments . Regards David Powell.

Comment

David, not sure if all the gears are on your banjo, if not i could check mine if needed and report what gear sequence is on mine.
                    The other gears i'm not sure either which way they should go.

Comment

Working...
                    X