X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forklift and fuel

I have two questions

A)Where can I get a service manual for this thing CAT V40C

B) the fuel is bad. When I picked this thing up it haven’t been run in years so I put a gallon of gas in it and started it and drove it home (about two blocks) than I filled the gas tank at first it was doing ok but the longer that new fuel is in there the worse the fuel gets, it has gone from clear to brown, and the exhaust has a varnish smell to it.
    I think what happened is before I bought it (the picture was taken before I bought it) the fuel started to turn to varnish and then it developed a fuel leak as the fuel level went down it coated the sides of the tank with the varnish, now that the tank is full it is dissolving the old varnish off of the sides of the tank.
    I think I am going to have to drain the tank, but is there any thing that I can do to help dissolve that old varnish so I don’t have to do this again?

Forklift & Fuel

Caterpillar should have a service manual, don't know what is available at Amazon.com or Ebay.

I would try "Sea Foam" or similar carburetor cleaners available in auto-parts stores.

Good luck

Ray

Comment

last gas tank I brazed I rinsed out with laqure thinner, Made the tank very impressively clean afterwards.. Could not smell the gas at all.
      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Yup. Seafoam is what I would use too.

Brian
        OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

I've got the 50 series that's a little newer & a little more capacity. These are great machines. Ebay will have the manual bur you may downliad it from Cat. The only problem I had was I thought the starter went bad hired a guy to remove it, it tested fine on the bench but still nothing on the truck, drove me nuts. I was in te shop just staring at it.& with the floorplate off I saw a small red switch on the left side where the driver enters. What a stupid place to put a switch open side up that locks out the starter if the floor plate where your feet go is off. Over the years all the dirt,mud water had filled the switch so I took it off put the wires together & it started back up. Other than the switch an LP reg leak ir's been great.
          "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
          world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
          country, in easy stages."
          ~ James Madison

Comment

Be careful running an engine on stale old gasoline.
            It will gum up the valve guides and the valves will stick open.
            So sticky, the valve springs will not close them.
            Sweet lift!

--Doozer
            DZER

Comment

Just my opinion, but what REALLY needs to be done with this problem, to prevent further problems, (and there will be, ) is to completely flush the whole system, everything including the carb, replace all filters .

If the tank is rusted inside, it will not go away, after having it flushed it needs to be sealed with a liquid tank sealer.

Comment

I agree but you might consider converting it to propane for a couple hundred $. There's a guy in easten Michigan thay knows everthing about propane. I bought my reg from him & can find his info if you chose that way. I assure you have them same carb. There is a mixer that fits on top, then a regulator then the hookup on the back for a tank. Runs clean & no more than Gasoline at todays prices.
                ~ James Madison

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch
                  Just my opinion, but what REALLY needs to be done with this problem, to prevent further problems, (and there will be, ) is to completely flush the whole system, everything including the carb, replace all filters .

If the tank is rusted inside, it will not go away, after having it flushed it needs to be sealed with a liquid tank sealer.
                  X'2 for this,also the tanks in some forklifts aren't hard to remove.Once everything is cleaned out I would still use Seafoam,it's a great product.
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Converting it to LP would be the way to go but I don’t have the money to do it right now. But I think that I will convert it before I try to remove the tank (removing the tank looks like a major operation).
                    After I cleaned out the fuel lines and carburetor and I was pumping fuel back up to the carburetor, that is when I noticed that the fuel was brown.
                    I have never heard of a vlave sticking because of bad gas, my current plan is to dump a can of seafoam in it and run it for a while to get it all te way through the system than let it set for about two weeks (when I will have time to work on it again) and see what it looks like then

Comment

I can assure you that stale gasoline can definitely stick valves. I have experienced it twice and in both cases the valves were very hard to get moving again. I have been fooling with engines about 65 years and had never encountered that until a couple of years ago. I don't know if the new gasoline formulation is to blame for the valves sticking but gasoline sure goes stale a lot faster than it used to.

I would drain all the gas, clean all the varnish from the tank, lines, and carburetor, and spray the valves good with oil. I even noticed varnish inside the intake manifold after the valves stuck and I removed it to free them up. The valves seem to stick after the engine has cooled. Both engines were running fine on the stale gasoline but when I tried to start them the next day there was no compression on any cylinders. Hope it doesn't happen to you!
                      Don Young

Comment

Stale Fuel

It might be a good time to put some Lucas Upper Cylinder Lube in the gas and oil.

Comment

This new gas sucks I have several motorcycles with white plastic tanks on them they are all now yellowish this new gas also eats seal and fuel lines, and it can go bad in less than a year
                          What did you use to clean it out

Comment

I use Marvel Mystery Oil in everthing.
                            ~ James Madison

Comment

Originally posted by grizzzly
                              This new gas sucks I have several motorcycles with white plastic tanks on them they are all now yellowish this new gas also eats seal and fuel lines, and it can go bad in less than a year
                              What did you use to clean it out
                              I have used spray aerosol carburetor cleaner, acetone, MEK (methyl ethel ketone), and lacquer thinner to remove the varnish from old gasoline. Sometimes it seems really hard to dissolve and a stiff brush helps.
                              Don Young

Comment

Working...
                              X