three wheel scooter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• three wheel scooter

Recently on here there was some discussion about three wheelers or something regarding a tilting suspension. This three wheeler came into my place this morning and I grabbed a video of it. The tilt mechanism is hydraulic. When the scooter goes under 10km per hour the tilt mechanism locks. Then if the rider stops at a light the bike is fixed upright. There is a button on the handle bars to release the tilt mechanism. I don't know many of the details but just thought some of you might be interested. It is capable of 130km per hour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BRT6...ature=youtu.be
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Do a search for Can Am Spyder.

Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest
      This three wheeler came into my place this morning and I grabbed a video of it.
      I see those quite often here and have always wondered what problem the front dual wheels solve. Not enough to actually look it up, but with a surgery to replace my hip coming up in a couple weeks I might need to find something smaller than my Harley to ride

Comment

First thing I noticed with the guy riding in the YouTube video was, he didn't trust it enough to put his feet up on the foot rests, and had a hell-of-a time making a simple turn in the drive way. I wonder what happens if you should hit something (rock, rabbit, chuck hole) with just one of the front wheels?

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.

Comment

Originally posted by dp
          ... have always wondered what problem the front dual wheels solve.
          I've never seen one, but after watching the video I was wondering the same thing. All I see is it's more difficult to turn sharply and more tire on the pavement would (somewhat) reduce MPG.
          Not panning it, just wondering...

Comment

The man had just bought the scooter and had never ridden any kind of scooter or motorcycle before he bought this one.

He was also not what you would say a very manly man! Quite frail actually. 60 years old.
            How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

People that ride bikes have a problem with them also. They don't lean over as far as instinct tells you and it takes some getting used to fact that when you go around a corner the bike feels like it is standing straight up and down. It's not but it feels like it.

Do all motorcycles there have those big ugly license plates on them? That just would not go over very well here.
              Gene

Comment

I don't know about the license plates. I will have to look tomorrow. I think problably yes they are that big.

Comment

Originally posted by bborr01
                  Do a search for Can Am Spyder.

Brian
                  I'm looking for one of those as that is about all I can ride anymore. I ran into must be an 80+ year old guy, asked him about it how lond he had it. Said he just got it this year(this happened last fall). I ask how many miles did he put on it, he sais a little over 50,000. He must have lived on that thing. I sure was impressed with him & the spyder!
                  "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                  world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                  country, in easy stages."
                  ~ James Madison

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest
                    Recently on here there was some discussion about three wheelers or something regarding a tilting suspension. This three wheeler came into my place this morning and I grabbed a video of it. The tilt mechanism is hydraulic.
                    The tilting mechanism is mechanical. It's a 'free leaning' design that handles just like a motorcycle (up to a point, the lean angle is limited).

The hydraulics link the two suspension units together to stop patter, but otherwise don't affect the tilt. You can see the tilt lock at the top. It's really just a section of brake disc and a caliper.

I see those quite often here and have always wondered what problem the front dual wheels solve.
                    Well, you can add the tilt lock so you don't have to put your feet down which some car drivers have a problem with, either fogetting or being afraid of contact with other vehicles. Another reason is that a front wheel slide is the hardest to recover from. Barry Shene's big testing crash was traced to him running the front wheel over a worm on the track. Two front wheels means you're much less likely to loose all grip at the front. That extra stability gives a lot of people the confidence to ride when they might not otherwise.
                    Paul Compton
                    www.morini-mania.co.uk
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Comment

I like it from the video. I have seen the can am but the wheels are spread alot farther apart and it would take up alot of room. This one makes more sense.

Comment

I think in that machines case, the local owner of the motorcycle/atv place was right

"What is the point in that, you will still wipe out, Just diffrently!"

Very similar problems as a motorbike with only a slightly bigger stability envelope. Once you lean over enough to put weight past the inside wheel any loss of traction on the front tires will make you wipe out.

That said, with 2 tires it might be able to survive on one in moderate turns, Taken to the limit it will be just as prone as a regular bike.

I wonder what happens when you blow a front tire on that thing? I have done it once or twice on my bike, the steering just gets really heavy and it feels like the front tire is rolling out from under you. (thankfuly noticed before any sharp turns)
                        Last edited by Black_Moons; 04-30-2012, 05:20 PM.
                        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

OK so here's my question....

The reason I'm going with a tricycle suspension is for stability. I'm going to have a very low center of gravity on my vehicle, the intention is that it's neutral postion will automatically be vertical. With a high center of gravity such as this scooter has what is the advantage (point?) of having the dual wheels?
                          Allans Rule: Anything worth doing is going to be a pain in the butt.

Comment

On my own trike design, the two front wheels are close enough together that the thing will go through a residential doorway. Partially because it doesn't tilt, it's prone to falling over in a turn. I think if I were to redesign, opting for two front wheels for stability, I would put them as far apart as I could, and still build in tilt capability. But from my thinking, and what's just been said, I'd want the tilt to fully follow what you'd get on a bike.

But that brings me around to the four wheeled vehicle again. So let's explore that- essentially two bikes side by side, articulated together so they both lean, with a low-slung passenger bucket between them. Obviously, if you have two front wheels, the width footprint is already more like a car, so what's really to be gained by having a single rear wheel?

The first answer to that is easy- simpler drive train.No differential, easy bike-type suspension. At the same time you lose occupant space since you have to be in front of, and/or above the rear wheel. It also represents a third obstacle to air flow, as someone mentioned.

The drive train part can be overcome with design- each rear wheel can be chain driven, which is a proven technology anyway- the only difference is in how you apply the drive force while still allowing the wheels to rotate at different speeds. Could be from a differential still- it could be a smaller unit though, since it would be rotating at drive sprocket rpms and not wheel rpms. Could be separate drives for each wheel, which electric could easily accommodate, and thus no differential.

We've heard many cons to the use of two front wheels (or two rear wheels with a single front). These are valid concerns, particularly in regards to safety. If you get a false sense of security because you have two wheels, front or back, then you stand to get a rude surprise when you suddenly lose it-

As you might surmise, I'm really starting to wonder whether there's any practical benefit to a three wheeled vehicle. I've done it for weight and space savings, plus the novelty of it, but now I'm starting to think that a glorified 4 wheel scooter might make more sense. Obviously not from a commuter vehicle sense where you have to be able to travel at highway speeds, but for single personal transport at low speeds with high economy, etc-

That one that someone posted a pic of some time back in this thread looked pretty good to me-
                            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Never seen that Can Am model around these parts, We have a dealer in town for them, but all i've seen are the larger widefront ended ones.

They have sold LOTS of these. Mostly i hear to older guys/women who due to their age, cannot really hold up a big bike like a harley / honda cruisers etc., at a stop.

Comment

Working...
                              X