Recommendations for blackening engraved graduations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for blackening engraved graduations

Gentlemen--I have a Harig Surface Grinder that I am restoring and the graduated dial could use a bit of work. It's an aluminum ring that rotates on the wheel, not too unlike that used on a mill or lathe. I would like to blacken up the engraved numbers and tick marks and I know you guys know the secret formula. Could you share?

In advance thanks!

Yes any art shop worth it's salt , or engraving shop , will supply engraving wax which when liberally rubbed in and the excess removed will do a wonderful job. It's not expensive either. Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

I have used clear epoxy tinted black with carbon black. Artist's oil colors work as well. If you can blast the graduations with a fine abrasive, it will give the bottoms of the cuts some tooth to help hold the epoxy. Degrease, coat the area with black epoxy and let cure. Polish the excess epoxy off with hard backed abrasive paper, finishing up with whatever grade gives the desired metal finish. The epoxy will be oil and solvent proof and will be very durable.

RWO

Comment

Birchwood Casey makes a product called Lumiclad which produces a very black surface coat on aluminum. I have used it and while it isn't all that durable as a surface coating (without protection) it will work well for engraved lines since they are below the surface. Just blacken the entire part and polish off the surface with very fine paper such as 400 and then maybe 600.

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/metal/lumiclad.html

Pick it up at most gun shops.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Want something "simple"???

Just use a permanent marker and remove the excess with a fine grit sandpaper or 0000 steel wool. If you really think that you'd like to coat the graduations afterwards, try a little hairspray or clear poly spray and sand off that excess too.

In a few years........if that starts to fade........you can do it again.
          RPease

Comment

There is this product called Lacquer stik, or something like that. I have not used it myself, but it was recommended in another thread.

A faster and cheaper, albeit less durable, solution is to use a wax crayon-like stick from an art shop.
            Last edited by beanbag; 04-29-2012, 02:23 PM.

Comment

We used the Lacquer stik in the military to redo the engraved numbers and letters on equipment. Rub it over the engraving, level it out and let it dry. Works fine last a long time.

Comment

Some of the other suggestions may be better, but I have used the Fine Tip Sharpie Markers to go over lines and stamped letters. It takes a bit of skill to follow a letter, but it can be done with some practice. It works OK and holds up to normal wear but perhaps not shop oils and solvents. You could seal it with a clear spray varnish.
                Paul A.

Make it fit.
                You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Working...
                X