Small Gloat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Gloat

I ran across this Tektronix 211 portable oscilloscpe at an estate sale over the weekend. It's a single channel, 500Khz (yes that's a K) 'scope with built in batteries.

It's just the right size to fit in the innards of my B'port when installing and troubleshooting cards for PC control (it's sitting on a 2X4).

$25.00

I'm a happy camper.

-Mike

Nice find! I used one of those back in the mid-'70's when I was doing field service.
    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Very nice find. I have wanted a TDS 210 for several years, but can't justify for my rare use of one.
      Cheers,
      Gary

Comment

ive found two of them over the last two years ...car boot sales..they were so cheap ..i couldnt leave them there ..under £5

ive no idea how to use them ..or what i could use them for .

sugestions werlcome

all the best..markj

Comment

How about a game of pong:

Or just make one into a clock:

Comment

I've actually never seen one of those that worked right...... mostly battery problems most likely.

What I want is a tek THS720 or 730. Use them at work, and they are THE portable scope..... Inputs are isolated..... measure the line with one and the gate drive with the second channel.... no problem.

http://www.usedmeter.com/pro/THS_730A.html

Ain't cheap, though.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

A while back I got a Hitachi V-059B from a friend. Similar to the Tek one but a little more capable. 7MHz. It's a little dim. Oh well. Found another on ebay for parts and picked up a couple new SLA batteries and it seems to work fine.

Also picked up a Tek TDS-340A at the Ham Fair by Seattle the other month. Nice scope, 100MHz, 500 MS/s. They go for amazingly cheap, about $200.

IMG_2210 by macona, on Flickr

Comment

I think I paid about $4500 for a similar Techtronics model - two-channel. Still have it nearly 30 years later and it still works but the batter chargery died about 25 years ago. There was a time I used it every day but I haven't turned it on in 15 years until today. I have no doubt there are a bunch of capacitors in it that are going to explode if I keep running it

Comment

Some time ago I picked up a Hickok model 1805 dual trace, 35meg scope. I'm afraid to plug it in, as my smart meter might bill be for a power surge . This thing was state of the art in its day, and must have been $$$ back then. It has 102 tubes, not including the crt. Quite the opposite of those portables- you don't pick this one up easily.
                  I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Somewhat off topic, check out the old training videos from Tek:

http://www.classictek.org/index.php?...d=17&Itemid=80

There is also a new museum here in Beaverton with Tek goodies.

http://www.vintagetek.org/

Tektronix is pretty much within walking distance from my house.

Comment

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon
                      ive found two of them over the last two years ...car boot sales..they were so cheap ..i couldnt leave them there ..under £5

ive no idea how to use them ..or what i could use them for .

sugestions werlcome

all the best..markj
                      Add a pulse generator and make a DIY Time Domain Reflectometer.
                      Definition: Racecar - a device that turns money into noise.

Comment

Working...
                      X