Help needed in adding poer feed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed in adding poer feed?

As I posted I bought a Wabeco S6000E lathe that is a 10.6"x24". It has a variable speed,revering motor but still has change gears & manual crosslide. I want to add variable speed feed to the carriage & crosslide. I'm not looking for CNC but just to add the ability to run all 3 at any speed I wish. I think this will add alot to this lathe. The company has a CNC kit but I don't want CNC. Thanks as usual for any & all help. It is appreciated & when the shop is done & even before, everyone is always welcome.

Just noticed I left out the W in POWER in the heading, So I guess I want POOR(as in cheap) POWER FEED!
    Last edited by flylo; 05-02-2012, 01:45 PM.
    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
    country, in easy stages."
    ~ James Madison

Go to the Yahoo group for the ELS project. (Electronic Lead Screw).

Comment

Just applied! Thanks Lakeside.
      ~ James Madison

Comment

I'm not looking for CNC but just to add the ability to run all 3 at any speed I wish. I think this will add alot to this lathe. The company has a CNC kit but I don't want CNC.

I have made a similar modification to my minilathe, see
        http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/leadscrew-motor.html
        Mike

Comment

Nice job Mike! I just scanned your site. Does it cut threads well?
          ~ James Madison

Comment

Originally posted by flylo
            Nice job Mike! I just scanned your site. Does it cut threads well?
            I do not use the leadscrew motor to cut threads.
            Mike

Comment

If I'm building an electronic leadscrew what will the highest RPM I should ever need the leadsrew to turn?
              ~ James Madison

Comment

Before you get too far down the ELS path, be aware that it works - mostly. After being out there for years, they are now coming to the realization that the method is unreliable for long threads.

Let me put forward my own method:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=42769
                http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/sho...onic+threading

The last thread is the most recent on the subject. I ranted a little about ELS, and am perplexed that my system, that has worked 100% for me has failed to get any traction with anyone else.

Have a look. I would be interested in feedback from others as to why the the Electronic Threading may not have gained acceptance.
                Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Originally posted by Weston Bye
                  The last thread is the most recent on the subject. I ranted a little about ELS, and am perplexed that my system, that has worked 100% for me has failed to get any traction with anyone else.

Have a look. I would be interested in feedback from others as to why the the Electronic Threading may not have gained acceptance.
                  Most people have trouble turning on the tv without the remote control, wiring up a box with more than 2 switches let alone discrete logic is going to send people looking for the remote. Just too hard !
                  My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Comment

Great job as always Weston! The Wabeco cuts threads great but you have to change rhe gear. It came with both metric & sae,
                    Ive found variable speed motors that have 8.5 ft pds of torque & max of 50 RPM. I'm not sure I will cut threads I just wanted the spindle, long & cross feeds to be independent. I can add the 2 motors,tachs,etc for about $200. I can add 2 cheap remote read DROs for $80. Markus want's $2K for the CNC kit & I don't want CNC & he won't break it up. So with the lathe, 2 tachs, 2 motors w/VS I'll have close to $1K in the whole thing,lathe & tooling included. Later I may go higher tech but if I can vary all 3 speeds independatly with tachs I'll be happy. I can still thread with the gears if needed. Remenber this is all new to me so if I make this work it will be a big accomplishment for me. You know I have to have the best lathe in the retirement home LOL! It is quiet enough.
                    Please check out Mikes website. He's simply a genius at budget minded improvements. I love simplicity that works & he's nailed it! Thanks for the help!
                    ~ James Madison

Comment

Originally posted by Weston Bye
                      Before you get too far down the ELS path, be aware that it works - mostly. After being out there for years, they are now coming to the realization that the method is unreliable for long threads.

Let me put forward my own method:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=42769

Weston, I have been very favorably impressed with your electronic threading system. I have given a lot of study and thought to this area, including the ELS. One problem with the straight divider/stepper system seems to be getting enough spindle PPR so that integral dividers will have enough resolution to cut all the desired pitches. Your solution is great for small lathes but some method of driving the encoder directly from the spindle would have more appeal for larger lathes, I think.

Of course, metric pitches are another hurdle, not only in translating to metric but in providing for the sequence of threads since they lend themselves to multiplying rather than dividing. I am very intrigued by the servo system by someone in Germany several years ago (Fritz something?). It could effectively divide and multiply the pitches by using dividers in both the spindle and leadscrew pulse trains to the comparator.

My latest brainstorm has been a system like yours but using a 6400PPR spindle encoder, a 200PPR leadscrew stepper, and an 8TPI leadscrew. This should give 1/4TPI resolution for each integral divider step. That is, a divisor of 32 would give 8TPI and a divisor of 33 would give 8.25TPI. This has several advantages. Metric and other odd threads could be very closely approximated even in the coarser pitches. Also, a common 4" threading dial (32T on an 8TPI leadscrew) could be used for all possible threads, including the metric approximations since they are actually whole, half, or quarter Imperial threads. By the way, either the 4" or 2" threading dial would also work for your metric approximations.

I am pretty sure I will never do anything with this idea as I enjoy the mental processes better than the physical. I have designed a new system of gears for metric threading on my 12" Atlas and have bought the gears for it so hopefully I will complete that and have a working system.
                      Don Young

Comment

Working...
                      X