George, can we have a wanted thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George, can we have a wanted thread?

I understand & accept we can't have a for sale section but how about a wanted/needed section. If i'm looking for a certain item chances are someone in this diversified group will have one they're not using or know whereto get one. Please consider it as it sure would be useful. I'd even moderate it if needed. Think about it please.Thanks! Eric
    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
    country, in easy stages."
    ~ James Madison

At this time, I’m not going to create a new forum for wanted to buy items since things will be getting a remake at the end of June anyway. I’m not sure it would generate enough traffic to justify a dedicated forum but will give some thought to it.

In the meantime, go ahead and post your WTB threads in the forum of your choosing.

George
    George

Comment

I moderate a couple of fora which have the WTB bucket set up. These are set up for PM or email only, no replies allowed. They work quite well.

I suspect that there would be a bit of traffic on such, here.

Pops

Comment

I really like "Where do I buy" threads as often people here have good tips on where to find things and finding materials/tooling/components is a serious part of machining.

"Want to buy <from people in the forum>" Is OK too I guess, since we might have some old used stuff/etc, but I could see it being limited to those who have been on the forum awhile.

When people come to the forum and one of there first few posts is commercial in nature, its kinda annoying.
        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Gosh, how tough would it be to add a "For Sale" category to the forum! The only catch would be that one would need to have a subscription to the magazine. That seems fair enough to me! Any number of ads could be posted during the length of the subscription.

Here's a possible way - I'm sure there are easier ways but I'll start an example...

A user of this category will need to register with a unique name other than the one they use on the "open" forums. This name will be submitted along with the account number they have for their subscriptions. Since George, or others, look at the new members anyway they could check to see if everything is legit and they actually do have a subscription.

It seems to me "Wanted" ads are just "For Sale" ads coming thru the back door!

As it stands now, this is how "For Sale" posts appear in this forum now ....

"I have a Southbend Model C lathe I found in mother's basement and I was thinking of selling it. What do you think a fair price to ask for it would be? It has never been used and is still packed in the original crate. It has a taper attachment, steady and follower rests, three unused chucks, and just about every attachment and tool Southbend made for that model. Mom's not well and I was thinking I would take the money to help pay for her heart operation. I'm told it would be worth about $5,030.12 but I just wanted to see what all you "experts" say about a perfect lathe that I can load on the buyers trailer for free. If you're shy about telling me a fair price I can charge for the lathe, you can always contact me thru a private message.

Thanks for your advice guys!"

Or...

"I have two Tail stocks for a Clausing lathe. Is it safe to advertise them in Craig's List?"

P.S. Please do not contact me. These are ONLY examples! Sheesh!
          Last edited by Mike Burdick; 05-02-2012, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Mike, How much to ship the lathe over to the UK ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Thanks George for being open minded & considering it!
              ~ James Madison

Comment

I see that John has posted a not so subtle version of a wanted ad.

I think the idea of wanted ads is quite good. Especially now that ebad is so useless. It's almost as if most folk who had something to sell have already done it, and what's left is the traders, and the traders only want to sell what they think people want. This might be fine for the multitude, but for those that know the obscure think they want it's no good at all.

If George has given us the go ahead to create wanted threads - and I'm not sure I'm reading him correctly here - then maybe this is an opportunity to force people to put their location into their profile. Fat lot of good a wanted, or even a for sale, ad is with no location.

I don't know why ebay didn;t put more emphasis on location. After all, they do like selling cars, and you can't exactly send a car second class mail.
                Richard

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                  Mike, How much to ship the lathe over to the UK ?
                  I don't know John.... It was suggested about $503.78 plus any applicable tax. Maybe others might know more about this sort of thing than I.

Comment

WANTED: A buyer for my _____

Comment

A Wanted forum is by default a for-sale forum. Any response to a wanted thread by a person with an item is a for sale post. If the original requester does not make the purchase the response remains as an advertisement for that item.

Same coin, both sides of the transaction revealed.

Comment

Originally posted by dp
                        A Wanted forum is by default a for-sale forum. Any response to a wanted thread by a person with an item is a for sale post. If the original requester does not make the purchase the response remains as an advertisement for that item.

Same coin, both sides of the transaction revealed.
                        Not if the person who answers will take it off the board by private message or email. I imagine that was kind of what George had in mind.
                        James

Comment

My idea was just a wanted post & no posted replies. If you can help just contact the poster by PM. George was nice enough to allow it so please don't screw it up by splitting hairs argueing & complaining. If you don't like it then don't use it. but please don't screw it up for those tooking for hard to find items, Thanks! Eric
                          ~ James Madison

Comment

In the mean time we can all just post on PM - not in the failed "classified" section, but in the resurrected machinery (or Tools) For Sale or Wanted forums. Won't help if you are advertising or looking for parts for your 9x20 (the post will be deleted; the owner hates Chinese and low end home machines) , but it's a great resource for the other stuff.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...0&daysprune=30
                            Last edited by lakeside53; 05-04-2012, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Just an FYI - censuring and preempting comment in an open forum is ill-mannered. Comments were solicited, I responded as others have. If you needed privacy in your request then a PM to George would have been appropriate followed by an open announcement of approval.

Comment

Working...
                              X