X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Neil Armstrong's Vette for sale

Anyone want to place a bid?

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...144950838.html

It would be nice to own a piece of history, but its too rich for my blood.

Odd that the price is going so high since Armstrong owned it BEFORE he walked on the moon July 20, 1969.

Last edited by Mike Burdick; 05-03-2012, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Ditto ... it would be a lot more interesting if it had been his personal car, not a "company car" ...

Comment

All of the astronauts from that mission were presented with a new (at that time) ’69 or 70’ Corvette. I forget what year it was but I do remember they were gold in color. One of those cars went on the auction block a few years back. I believe it sold for something like 300 grand and it wasn’t even Neil’s car.

Comment

A 67 big block Sting Ray is going to pull down some serious coin with or without Mr. Armstrong's association. However, with it I'd expect the value could make his reserve.
          James Kilroy

Comment

Dr Stan,If you want history have I a deal for you!. I have the Loran that Chuck Yeager put in the plane he named for his wife "Glorious Glennis". When I bought the Bonanza & took out some readio equipment & this Loran & was talking to the former owner of 30+ years told him what I was doing, he about had a stroke when I told him I was tossing it. So now I have another worthless thing I can't get rid of. I never liked lorans anyway. I like flying IFR (I follow roads). My best flying has been in prewar Tcrafts, no radio or electrical system, pure stick & rudder & dead reckoning. 12 gallon main tank(no wing tanks then) so I'd carry a collaspsable 5 gallon can sometimes strapped in the pass seat or folded in the baggade sling.. I've landed a a couple truck stops, flew under the Mackinaw brigde, scud runned in hot MOAs. Had a ball the old fasioned way like it was '38 again. Aunt Bea(my '38 Taylorcraft) loved it! Something special about dragging an old taildragger out before dawn, checking it, doing it's ritual to get it ready to start(pull the prop thru 8 blades everything off, priming it 4 shots mags off,pulling 4 more blades,making thr mags hot, spinning the prop then running aroung the strut to get to the primer & throttle to keep it going. Climb in pull the chock rope you hung one the step. Check everything, taxi in S turns to the threashold Hit the throttle bring the tail up, let her flyoff but keep her in ground effect till you build speed then rotate & up comes the sun. Nothing compares! Wih that loran, You could be famous Dr Stan!
            "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
            world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
            country, in easy stages."
            ~ James Madison

Comment

Originally posted by jkilroy
              A 67 big block Sting Ray is going to pull down some serious coin with or without Mr. Armstrong's association. However, with it I'd expect the value could make his reserve.
              There is quite a bit more to this story than is apparent. Claims of originality + the appearance of being ridden hard/put away wet = warning bells. Claims that its an original big block car from 1967, yet the stance isnt even close to correct for a big block car (very unique suspension ride height that year) = someone who doesnt know Corvettes very well.
              "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Originally posted by flylo
                12 gallon main tank(no wing tanks then)
                How far will 12 gallons get you?

Comment

Working...
                X