Wire Welding Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire Welding Question

Years ago I took welding classes at the local technical college. I learned how to stick weld. I now have a wire welder. On stick I was taught to weld left to right. With wire I am told to weld right to left. Is there an advantage that comes from welding right to left with wire?
    Thanks

Im not a certified welder but I think you drag a rod and push a bead with the mig.

Comment

you can push, pull or keep the torch vertical...the angle changes the penetration a little. I like to pull the torch towards me when possible, keeping it vertical to the work surface, so I can see the puddle well. This isnt always possible of course, but its something to shoot for. I have minimal arc experience, but from what i understand, the rod selection is one of the most important variables. With the mig, the technique as well as amps/feed are the main variables.

Comment

Probable has something to do with keeping the gas shield over the weld puddle to avoid contamination, if you use solid wire and not the flux core variety.

Comment

Being able to see the puddle and control what it is doing with respect to what you are trying to do is the most important aspect. One can go any direction one wants.
          Wire feed welding by its nature gives less penetration than stick welding, especially if one runs reverse polarity DC on the stick.
          regards
          rollin'

Comment

It all depends what you are doing. Aluminum spool should be pushed. Flux core is generally pulled. Some industrial proceedures that companies use are very strict about this...if they catch you pushing the gun they will fire you. Heavy weldments with larger hard wires should also be pulled. This gives better penetration and less chance of "cold lap". Of course...uphand welds are pushed as a rule... unless a downhand technique is allowed. Light guage is easier to weld with a push technique with less chance of burnthrough. This is what we are taught in our colleges and in manuals etc. We (journeymen) almost always use the backhand (pull) technique for stick and mig. Once you get the hang of it you can control your bead shape and size far easier. Most beginners prefer the push technique because it is far easier to see where you are going. Hooowwweverr...in the real world...I looked after 15 weldors in a plant. None of these guys had a welding ticket but had many years of production welding experience...they ALL pushed their welds. Just to prove my point about push vs pull techniques I set up a series of destructive tests...my welds against theirs. Some of the newer guys welds failed miserably. The old hands that could really weld...there was really no difference in weld strength. These welds where all single pass on 3/8" plate Tjoints...basically what we welded all the time. This is my experience only. I'm not recommending that anyone use the wrong process. I will continue to use the backhand technique where ever possible.
            I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

What do you plan to weld ? Is it sheet metal if it is i have experience with that. With sheet metal pentration is usually not a problem warpage is the big problem there. I usually weld one spot at a time then move a couple of inches and then move to another spot. Let the welds cold . Also grind the spots frequently to avoid to much heat. one big thing is to have good cuts when joining two pieces of sheet metal.
              Ed bannister

------------------
              ed bannister

Comment

I catch myself welding left to right all the time, doing it by sound.

Remember stitch stitch stitch sheetmetal. I have installed several stitch time delays in peoples welders. NOT got one in my machine.
                Just about the time it starts welding good, the timer shuts off, of course it is warping all to heck and fixing to burn out..

David

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 02-24-2004).]

Comment

Working...
                X