Model engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model engine

I feel sorry for the lady that sold this engine to an Ebay seller. She probably didn't get a tenth of what he sold it for on Ebay. But then again maybe she should have shown more apprecition for her fathers work and kept it on the mantle.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2597022397
    To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

"glow plug engine" my foot. It looks like some distributor parts, like the cap for one, are missing. JMHO

------------------
    Neil Peters
    Neil Peters

When on the hunt, a broken part is better than no part at all.

Comment

Looks like the old Offy 4-bang racer engine. Geez! I think I'll start building engines. $3500+ could have bought the real one.

Comment

I doubt you would make much money building these for $3800.00.
        It is a beautiful little model. I am not aware of any castings available, so it is either from barstock or casting patterns were made. How much time was spent doing research and drawing plans? No CAD then.
        Look at the combined distributor, water pump and oil pump drive on the cam gear nose, and imagine the internals as the engine is only 8-1/2" long. Then imagine the gear train driving the cam gears.
        It is an Offenhauser, so it was made well after WW 1. Probably 40's or 50's.
        Ron Colonna has plans available to build a similar model from barstock. It is beautiful when finished too, but at that price, the hourly rate will be pretty low.
        It is a shame that the family has no more interest in what the Grandfather made. If she used the proceeds to buy video games, it serves her right.
        Wonder what will happen to our stuff in 50 years. I hope the g'kids appreciate it, and if they need the money, will get a good price for it.

[This message has been edited by JCHannum (edited 02-24-2004).]
        Jim H.

Comment

I amend my opinion of the lady selling the model engine. I reread the auction, and if it was her father, and he was a WW 1 Vet, she is well into her 80's, and may have no one to pass things on to.
          This being the case, she was probably had, and that is a shame.
          It still raises the question of how to handle our creations.
          Jim H.

Comment

Well, when your dead, I Dont think you much care about anything.

Comment

Working...
            X