Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Way OT: weeds (garden type not the other kind)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way OT: weeds (garden type not the other kind)

Since our overbearing provincial government here in Ontario banned 2,4,D based weed killer a couple of years ago our lawns have gone to pot (again garden weeds not real pot). Scotts now sell Weed-be-gone in an iron based non toxic formula that is, to say the least, vicious on dandelions and other broad leafed weeds. I sprayed them yesterday about 4PM and when I got home from work today all the D-lions were wilted and dead/dying. Anybody here about that hasn't, should try it, it works.

P.S. I don't work for Scott's.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

I solved my Dandelion problems. Everytime one pops up I pluck the leaves and toss them into my salad. YUMMY!!

Comment

Then dig the plant out when young, wash off the roots and dry them, then grind or chop them up and use them same as coffee grinds,,,,,

You won't be able to tell the difference between them and coffee.

Been used for years as a coffee subsitute.

Comment

What about the caffine? The ONLY reason I drink the real stuff...

Comment

The dandelion coffee will let you sleep.

Comment

ha,ha,ha but seriously........
            The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch
              The dandelion coffee will let you sleep.

Just what I need at 7am!

Comment

It's a pretty effective diuretic. Herbalists have used it for a bunch of things. While there are native species of dandelion in n America, the common dandelion was imported on purpose to grow in the garden for food and medicine:

"Dandelion leaves act as a diuretic, increasing the amount of urine the body produces. The leaves are used to stimulate the appetite and help digestion. Dandelion flower has antioxidant properties. Dandelion may also help improve the immune system.

Fresh or dried dandelion herb is also used as a mild appetite stimulant and to improve upset stomach. The root of the dandelion plant may act as a mild laxative and has been used to improve digestion. There is some very preliminary research that suggests dandelion may help improve liver and gallbladder function, but the study was not well designed.

Some preliminary animal studies also suggest that dandelion may help normalize blood sugar levels and lower total cholesterol and triglycerides while raising HDL, "good," cholesterol in diabetic mice.

I now find a "good" monoculture grass lawn to be boring, a maintenance hog and an energy sink. The other broadleaf weed in your yard you should reconsider is the common plantain for first aid. Mash up a couple leaves and smear that on a skin cut/scrape/etc and it had notable anti-inflammatory and antibiotic properties.

On the other hand, the new herbicide is almost certainly less toxic than the old herbicide, so this still represents progress.

Finest regards,

doug

Comment

Dandelions?? throw'em in a pot of water with a bit of salt pork for 20 minutes or so, server with a splash of vinegar. YUM

Comment

Get some chickens and let them free range on your lawn.

Pretty soon your dandelion problem will be gone and so too will your lawn.

You will have lots of lovely fresh eggs and lots of new friends when you give away the surplus.
                    Paul Compton
                    www.morini-mania.co.uk
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Comment

By not spraying your'e lawn you'll have more song birds eating the offensive bugs (if you enjoy seeing and listening to songbirds.)

Comment

Dandelions! Lovely! Nothing brightens my spirit like a yellow field of dandelions in the spring.

But I agree somewhat with the OP. The only good thing the present ON goverment has done is to ban a pesticide.

David Cameron

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut
                          Since our overbearing provincial government here in Ontario banned 2,4,D based weed killer a couple of years ago our lawns have gone to pot (again garden weeds not real pot). Scotts now sell Weed-be-gone in an iron based non toxic formula that is, to say the least, vicious on dandelions and other broad leafed weeds. I sprayed them yesterday about 4PM and when I got home from work today all the D-lions were wilted and dead/dying. Anybody here about that hasn't, should try it, it works.

P.S. I don't work for Scott's.

You can sear them with a propane torch. You don't have to burn them black, just heat the leaves until they smoke and move on to the next one.
                          It involves something about heating the plant cells till the burst and then the plant can't photosynthesize sunlight and dies.
                          Tedious if you have a lot of dandelions.

Comment

Around here the lawns are full of what people think are dandelions, but they are not... and WA state has them on the noxious weed list.

They are Hypochoeris Radicata... common name is "Hairy Cat's Ear". Different leaf form and the leaves that extend from Basel rosette. Yes, you can still eat it, but it's toxic to horses.

Oh, my wife is a Zoologist and her continuous correction over 35 years has left me slightly more educated. Don't tell her, but it still looks like a frigg'in Dandelion to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catsear

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dandelion
                            Last edited by lakeside53; 05-08-2012, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X