Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo: Hand Scraping the Ways

THAT OLD GANG 'O MINE

For a minute there I thought the chains were holding up the scrapers.

Comment

So this was Jim Nabors day job before he became rich and famous...

Comment

Hey, you're right! That is Jim Nabors. GOLL.L.EE!

Comment

Looks like the other guy has the chain going into his pants. Also looks like scraping masters between the two guys. Also seems odd to have two guys working that close together on the same machine like they are digging a ditch. Bottom line: This is a staged picture from the old days before PhotoShop. "Hey guys look busy like your doing that scrapping thing, both of you get in the picture, take that cigar out of your mouth."

Comment

I have been looking and looking for a picture that used to be on the Mitsubishi Heavy Industries web site. They had a picture of a very large modern lathe with bed about thirty feet long and the ways about a foot wide each. It was entirely hand scraped by one man, whom they showed at work on the machine.
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

What a boring, tedious and outdated job, if you look at Jims eyes, they are all glazed over and he is in really somewhere ells, perhaps he is thinking about the chick in the office.

Comment

Boring, tedious, and outdated perhaps but workable, accurate, and requiring minimum equipment. Using these low tech methods a third world country can evolve their primitive machine tool technology to world class standards in a single generation.

Coal, coke, limestone, quartz sand and clay, coke forge, and ingenuity is where England and the US started in the 18th centuries. Knowledge that a thing can be done is 2/3 of the battle.

Comment

Working...
                X