Adept Shaper 2A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adept Shaper 2A

I recently acquired an Adept Shaper 2A. The machine appears to be complete except for the handle used to operate the shaper ram. Does anyone out there have one of these machines they would be willing to measure and make me a sketch of the handle? I would appreciate dimensions as well. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Gary V. Please remove (nospam) to email me at: flivver(nospam)[email protected]

In case no-one is able to oblige, you could scale up from the photos here:-

http://www.lathes.co.uk/adeptshaper/index.html

Comment

Gary,

Nice acquisition and nice to see you back participating in discussions. I probably should have something like that to get my machining exercise.
      "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

That's a cool little machine. Thanks for posting.

Comment

I think that "The Artful Dodger" has an Adept (or very similar) hand-operated shaper.

He seems to be quite pleased with and proud of it.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie
            I think that "The Artful Dodger" has an Adept (or very similar) hand-operated shaper.

He seems to be quite pleased with and proud of it.

Thats right 'tiffie, mine is almost exactly the same except that it is the powered version. Yes, I really like my little shaper.

Comment

Gary,
              I also have been using an Adept 2A since the late 1950/s, I find it a handy little machine if used within its capacity, Mines also is a power driven machine I find though it does not like cutting slots , it is good for facing components flat, and is remarkably accurate, A few weeks ago i was using it to plane some cast iron components measuring 2" long X about 1&1/4" broad flat i was holding the sizes to .002" no problem.

Comment

Gary, mine does not like slots either but I have found it helps if I press down on the clapper when the tool starts to skitter. I use a bit of wood to keep fingers well clear of the danger zone! Press down during the cut and relax on the back stroke.

The shaper is the first choice to put a nice surface on a piece of rusted scrap, no expensive tools get damaged!

One modification I did was to fit limit switches which has saved the day a couple of times when I have got interrupted another modification was to fit a power downfeed.

The power downfeed is a simple cable and ratchet affair but it does enable quite deep slots provided the tool is narrow enough.

John

Comment

Working...
                X