Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Carol Shelby has died

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/12/sp...ies-at-89.html

"Carroll Shelby, a Texas chicken farmer turned hot-rodder who went on to build innovative sports cars like the Cobra that challenged Europe’s longtime dominance of road racing, as well as high-performance versions of production cars like the Ford Mustang, died on Thursday in Dallas. He was 89..."
    Last edited by tlfamm; 05-11-2012, 06:32 PM.

rip! .......
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/csprecision

Comment

Just heard that, another legend gone.

Last month it was Bill "grumpy "Jenkins Legendary Chev Small block Guru for 50 years.

Comment

A true legend.

I wanted a Shelby-badged Mustang all my life, finally bought one a few years ago.

Comment

He was quite a man. I never owned an early Cobra but a friend did and I got to drive it several times. It was a 1965 or so AC Cobra with the small Ford block engine. That was one fast car. Under acceleration, it would jam you down in the seat so hard it was difficult to breathe.

He was really a legend. RIP.

Comment

Yes RIP Carol Shelby. At least he lived a long, productive and presumably happy life. Sure wish I could build cars like he did.

Comment

I could be mistaken, but didn't Shelby and "Smokey" Yunick have some kind of competition going back in the 60's or 70's ?

I think they both wrote car "Answer" columns for Pop Mechanics or one of those magazines.

Comment

Rest in Peace Carrol Shelby.

I've driven quite a few Cobra's and wannabe Mustang Cobras.

I've come to the conclusion that 'ol Carrol was the only guy who ever worked for Ford that had half-a-brain.

And I'm being factious in saying that...mainly because when Shelby built the first AC Cobra, the only reason he went with Ford was because it fit in the car.
                No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

He was & will always be a legand. That was a great era wasn't it? Never to be repeated. Even the music. Those were the days!
                  "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                  world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                  country, in easy stages."
                  ~ James Madison

Comment

I was always in awe at the things Carroll Shelby managed to do. He truly was a legend.

Sadly, his image was somewhat tarnished by his association with Zmax. I'll never understand why someone with so much going for him would endorse a scam product.
                    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch
                      I could be mistaken, but didn't Shelby and "Smokey" Yunick have some kind of competition going back in the 60's or 70's ?

I think they both wrote car "Answer" columns for Pop Mechanics or one of those magazines.
                      I thought I remember something along those lines too, and although both great innovators to me they are like night and day, Shelby's approach to things was far more mainstream and practical and Smokey Yunick went way out there in just about every direction imaginable,
                      you can't help but admire them both but SY's desire to leave no stone unturned and all the data he exposed in the process of flipping them all over is just plain awe inspiring to me, it's that type of process that enables you to predict results with things that have never even been created before...

But this is about C. Shelby - a guy who built (for its time) the most refined greatest power to weight ratio cars for it's day, the AC Cobra - and all the other racing achievements and cars he graced with his high performance touch.
                      He really did put America on the map and made a statement to the euro's that this country's effort isn't some kind of permanent image to be seen in a rear view mirror.

Now the Corvette has been carrying the torch for a long time, she's all we got when it comes to production vehicles... (have to give credits to the viper and a few others also) we need way more variety,
                      We need to get back to our roots - we need mega refined power coupled to something very slippery and fairly light...

They say when an old warrior dies a new one will step in to fill his shoe's -- pretty tall order but don't count it out....

R.I.P. C. Shelby...
                      Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 05-12-2012, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by winchman
                        Sadly, his image was somewhat tarnished by his association with Zmax. I'll never understand why someone with so much going for him would endorse a scam product.
                        Would you please let him get cold in the ground before you start kicking him!!!

Arbo had it right in his hitch thread. This board is getting worse all the time. I'm giving myself a several week hiatus from all the bickering.

Comment

Originally posted by rancherbill
                          Would you please let him get cold in the ground before you start kicking him!!!

Arbo had it right in his hitch thread. This board is getting worse all the time. I'm giving myself a several week hiatus from all the bickering.
                          Just because someone dies does not make them any better, or worse than they were when living.
                          James

Comment

I heard specs on the 427 side oiler and it's something like zero to 100mph and back down to zero in under 13 sec.
                            So if you swallowed your chewing gum no worries cuz it's coming right back up for you.
                            You really can see the British body influence with that long hood wide mouth and sitting almost over the rear wheel, they were sexy like the sexiest of Jags...

One of my friends was kicking the wheels on a brand new one at the dealership for $6,500.00 and his wifey talked him out of it

Comment

Originally posted by J. Randall
                              Just because someone dies does not make them any better, or worse than they were when living.
                              James

Sure. But it might be one time that we could show some slight respect.

Comment

Working...
                              X