Semi OT: customs duty--Deal Extreme?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Semi OT: customs duty--Deal Extreme?

All these threads about LED's has me ready to start converting over to them for shop lighting. I thought I'd start with 4 of these <dealextreme.com/p/xmlawt-1000-lumen-led-emitter-white-light-bulb-3-0-3-5v-51989> and some LED drivers/power supplies so it shouldn't be much over $50.00.

So, the shipping question is for people in the U.S.A that has bought anything from Deal Extreme in the past--Is there much hassle? Does your purchase come to your mail box/door, or does one have to pick-up the package at the local Post Office and pay customs fees?

Thanks

Low-alloy

They are very fast shippers.
    Usually shows up on my front porch in a little box.
    I've never had any issues with them.
    Instructions are usually sparse or non existent.
    Tom M.

Comment

If no one is home I have to pick up at the P.O.

I have never paid fees.

Comment

We don't pay no stinking customs fees! We live on the good side.
        And when I go to Canada I get all my tax money I spent when I stop to exit at the border. Never understood why they wanted to give it back.
        "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
        world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
        country, in easy stages."
        ~ James Madison

Comment

I've never had a dealextreme purchase with any customs paperwork. I'm not sure how they do that. Maybe they pay all their customs fees once a month to one person who personally scoots the shipments through?

Take any deal extreme claims with a grain of salt, and you might want to buy a few extra parts to account for "spoilage" since the packaging and quality are not 10% reliable. It's cheaper and easier to order a backup part in advance than it is to get them to rush you a replacement while the project is 1/2 finished.

My favorite deal extreme packaging tale... I bought 100 keychain flashlights ridiculously cheap. The flashlights are the flat ones the size of a quarter. They came in a padded envelope. It was glowing. When I opened the envelope I found the flashlights were jumbled together and tightly wrapped with bubble wrap and tape. About 10 were turned on because they were wrapped so tight. 20 of the 100 had weak or dead batteries.

So just order a few extras and you will be OK.

Dan
          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb
            I've never had a dealextreme purchase with any customs paperwork. I'm not sure how they do that. Maybe they pay all their customs fees once a month to one person who personally scoots the shipments through?

Take any deal extreme claims with a grain of salt, and you might want to buy a few extra parts to account for "spoilage" since the packaging and quality are not 10% reliable. It's cheaper and easier to order a backup part in advance than it is to get them to rush you a replacement while the project is 1/2 finished.

My favorite deal extreme packaging tale... I bought 100 keychain flashlights ridiculously cheap. The flashlights are the flat ones the size of a quarter. They came in a padded envelope. It was glowing. When I opened the envelope I found the flashlights were jumbled together and tightly wrapped with bubble wrap and tape. About 10 were turned on because they were wrapped so tight. 20 of the 100 had weak or dead batteries.

So just order a few extras and you will be OK.

Dan
            Hahhaha, and the postman didn't find anything strange about delivering a glowing package? :P
            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Ooo I never thought of LEDs..does any have any pics of there shop lit with them? (sorry op for the high jack)

Comment

Get just the LEDs and make your own lamps

Chek out DipMicro.com and get a bunch of LEDs and make your own bulbs. They ship from Canada and the US so you should be able to beat some duty fees.

Comment

Originally posted by Tamper84
                  Ooo I never thought of LEDs..does any have any pics of there shop lit with them? (sorry op for the high jack)
                  Go to <http://bit.ly/JtsFVp>, this is an advanced google search of this domain for LED's and the Home shop machinist member, Evan. This site's search function doesn't "find" 3 letter searches so well. Anyway, you'll find quite a few threads about led's and shop lighting.

When Google asks, "Was that so hard?", it's google that is being snotty and not me!

Cheers!

Low-alloy

Comment

Working...
                  X