Tripped over a tool on my way to a tool gloat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tripped over a tool on my way to a tool gloat

crippies ya gotta watch tool gloats, they're droppin from the sky so fast and furious someone is going to get hurt.

....so I'm on my way to this tool gloat.... last night I'm making plans on picking up a large load of stuff this morning when an email comes in. A week ago I email on a kijiji ad....guy takes a week to get back to me and says "we're having a garage sale tomorrow, all the tools will be in it" Turns out its very close to the scheduled gloat, so me thinks, hey self, why not hit this place early as sort of the opening before the main event. Lots of piles of crap but his Dad was a machinist so there's some jewels.

All this plus a working nibbler. American made pullers, Boston gear tooth gauge, starrett counter, starrett mic, mit vernier and a pile of new butterfield taps. I make my pile and ask how much? $10

Awwww, you guys and your'e neat tool gloats,,, great finds though,, keep posting them love to see what others have found!!

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch
      Awwww, you guys and your'e neat tool gloats,,, great finds though,, keep posting them love to see what others have found!!
      oh you'll be sick of 'em soon enough . all done, gloats and posts, just for kicks and giggles

Comment

Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

SUCK!
        James Kilroy

Comment

That does it. I'm calling the RCMP.

Comment

That Boston Gear gauge...I'm a little slow so how come its straight?
            I mean, other than a rack, would not a gauge that was a portion of a circle be more "useful"?

I know the drawings illustrating gear teeth in some catalogs are partial circles...

Would it work for worms? See thoughts do occur as one is typing...

Comment

Wish I could trip over my tool . Oops I better be careful of what I wish or my legs might fall off! LOL
              "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
              world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
              country, in easy stages."
              ~ James Madison

Comment

You know they put thieves in jail For stealing. That is down right thief in my book.Than one puller is more than $10.00.
                Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

if you;re trippin over your tool you either need a leg extension or be heading to California should have said tool gloat but the fingers can't keep with the brain!

Originally posted by RussZHC
                  That Boston Gear gauge...I'm a little slow so how come its straight?
                  I mean, other than a rack, would not a gauge that was a portion of a circle be more "useful"?

well, its function is to identify the tooth form - the DP # in either 14.5 or 20 degrees (it has both). You see how if you had a gear to identify, you'd only need a sample of each DP and angle, right? I mean a 60tooth 20 DP 14.5 degrees will mesh with any 20DP 14.5 degree gear.....and it won't with a 18DP or 80 DP etc....so I don't have to give you 400 different dia of 20 DP gears to identify your's meshes... i only have to give you one. What's a gear with an infinity diameter? a rack! a 20DP rack will only mesh with a 20 dp gear just like a round gear...it won't fit or look right if mesh of the rack gauge with a gear

Comment

Gotcha, what occurred to me now was how key the "rack" is...rather than having a partial circle one would treat those straight gauges as if they were the "rack" and just roll the gear (or move it) along them [of course, as you say, you only need one tooth to mesh...]

Comment

By making the gauge a rack, each tooth has flat sides which would an advantage in manufacturing vs having to stamp out involutes, and a partial circle unless the same number of teeth wouldn't mesh any better. A rack is just another gear - it is an involute form from a circle of infinite radius.

It's a lot clearer when you're looking at the gauge; there's just no mistaking the difference between a 14.5 and 20 angle or a 20 DP vs 18, one will fit the gear perfectly and the other either wont or will look way off.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver
                        By making the gauge a rack, each tooth has flat sides which would an advantage in manufacturing vs having to stamp out involutes, and a partial circle unless the same number of teeth wouldn't mesh any better. A rack is just another gear - it is an involute form from a circle of infinite radius.

It's a lot clearer when you're looking at the gauge; there's just no mistaking the difference between a 14.5 and 20 angle or a 20 DP vs 18, one will fit the gear perfectly and the other either wont or will look way off.

I have some sets of those "rack" gear gauges.

The linear pitch of the rack has to equal the circular pitch of the gear with the required diametral pitch (DP).

Gear circular pitch = 3.1416/DP

For 20DP = 0.157"

For 18DP = 0.175"

Which are only 0.175 - 0.157 = 0.018" different.

18 and 20 pressure angles (PA) are pretty close too.

Comment

too many gloats...head spinning...can`t see straight...

wait... ok it was just me, the coffee hadn`t kicked it yet.

nice score!

Comment

Working...
                          X