O/T Poison Ivy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O/T Poison Ivy

Well it's that time of year again, poison ivy!! I am almost afraid to say the word, seems all I have to do is talk about it and I start to itch. Anyway I have heard of some pre-exposure preparations that a person can apply before possible exposure but I have also heard conflicting reviews about the stuff. Anyone here have any suggestions on how to deal with this diabolical weed?

There's worse things than poison ivy:

But - the Mayo Clinic has some good advice.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/poi...ION=prevention

Comment

There was a recent post about Veet for men. Please read the post. I bet if you applied Veet all over you would not get (or maybe not care) poison Ivy.
      "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
      world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
      country, in easy stages."
      ~ James Madison

Comment

DP, ok, what are those big burr looking things on that guy???

Comment

Other than stay away, no.

Just got over a rash on my knee, and worse on my wrist. Two weeks or so of intense itching and its starting to clear up. Then I noticed a tiny white spot. In a couple of days it's a full blown blister. Another week or so, and another.

Felt like an idiot when I figured out I must have picked up some resin inside of the cuff of my glove.

Dave Cameron

Comment

I have been told blowing pure O2 on the exposed area can help break down the oils that cause the problems.

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch
              DP, ok, what are those big burr looking things on that guy???
              Cholla cactus. Arizona is crawling with it.

Comment

I hate P.I. and the new place I have to take my dogs for a walk has it all over so I have to watch them constantly or I will get it loading the older one in my car,

I know this is TMI but kinda funny so here goes, I was always catching the stuff while boating cuz of grabbing weeds at the shore line to get out of the water --- anyways --- i got some on my left hand and because I like to hold myself at night when I sleep I transferred it to my junk -- then "somehow" my GF at the time gets a wicked "rash" on her squeeker the next day or so,,, I tried to play dumb but she managed to put it all together and I was labeled "inconsiderate" for awhile, but not long enough to give it to her one more time at another occasion....

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer
                  *tmi*
                  Gez! wear a condom next time..... you sleep with poison ivy on your hand.
                  Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I've had more than my share of poison ivy over the years. Been getting worse lately but I have come up with several thing that minimize the problem. Years ago got a really bad case from climbing a tree that was covered with it. My legs and arms looked completely red and rash covered. Ever since that case I have been hyper sensitive to the darn stuff. What I do:

1, IvyBlock Lotion - Apply it prior to going out in an area known to have IVY. I apply this prior to doing yard work. It really does work. It's a type of clay base that when applied tends to minimize the oils in IVY from causing issues.

2. Get some poison IVY soap. Yeah you can call me crazy but it works!
                    http://www.naturalhealthyconcepts.co...FQdeTAod0To_GQ

3. Shower immediately after yard work and use the above soap if you even think there could be any issue.

4. If you still get IVY on you and it starts to bubble the skin and all then washing with the above soap will help but not cure. The clear type calamine lotion works fairly well.

5. Really nasty cases go to the doctor and they can give you a prescription for corticosteroid pills to help improve or clear up the rash. These can also come in creams, ointments, shots, or gels, but usually pills or injections.

Plenty of home cures as well. I have tried about all of them with mixed success. The pills are the only thing that works for really nasty cases, at least for me.

Comment

Don't know how to prevent it, but there is an old Indian remedy that helps clear it up, it is a weed ( maybe jewel weed) that usually grows in the same areas as P I . Pick some of it and steep in water in an old pan you don't care anything about. Makes a sticky brown liquid that really seems to help.
                      James

Comment

Might not work for everything, but I realized one day that much of what causes itching - spiders, mosquitoes, are proteins. So I started using a hair dryer on them to see if heat would get rid if the reaction by destroying the proteins. Spiders, yes, mosquitoes not so much.

Don't know what it was, but I was out flying my RC helicopter in the late winter and something tattooed me from top to bottom and it was the itchiest stuff I'd ever had. I'd thought it was a bed bug as I didn't become aware of it until morning, but you never get just one of those, and there was no scat which they leave. We have No-See-Ums here they they're too small to bite through clothing, so the critter is a mystery but heat got rid of the itch. I didn't get the skin hot enough to cook but darn close. I used a coffee cup with water I heated in the microwave oven as a compress.

Comment

Originally posted by dp
                          Cholla cactus. Arizona is crawling with it.
                          That's the worst case of jumping cactus I have seen. Looks like he might have been a winter visitor to a golf course, unaware of the hazard.

I found an afro comb on the sidewalk, and I keep that in my hydration pack. If I pick up a clump of cholla on my hikes I can flick it off by getting the teeth of the comb underneath it. But individual spines (with their fishhook barbs) stay stuck in the skin. These have to be pulled out one by one.
                          Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

I used to suffer with poison ivy outbreaks now and then. Here's what I found worked the best, and it works pretty well.
                            But here's the thing. You HAVE to diligently do this regularly or you might as well not do any of it because it won't help.

First avoidance works best of course, so being good at recognizing it and staying away is a good idea. But once you've noticed the beginning of an outbreak:

I picture the PI being a caustic oil (maybe that's what it is?). So wash the affected area and a decent perimeter around it as if you had a tough, greasy dark oil there from working on your transmission or the like. I've used hand cleaner (fast orange or whatever) or dish soap or whatever is good for removing stubborn oily-greasy stuff off your skin. Lather up good and scrub the heck out of it with a wash cloth. Once it starts itching, this is a bit soothing anyway.

Then rinse it off good and dry. Immediately carry the washcloth and towel by a corner and toss it in the washing machine so you don't spread stuff around. Maybe paper towels would be a better idea?

This washing phase helps the rash go away MUCH quicker - 2-4 days instead of a week or two. But you want relief from the itching too, so after washing and drying, apply a coat of caladryl lotion. As mentioned before, it comes in clear as well as the "traditional" pink. Either works, but the clear doesn't show and it works very well for me.

Pretty easy. The trick is you HAVE to do this in the morning and then again before you go to bed. You may want to do it once or twice in between too depending on how active you are and how much you sweat during the day. Basically I do it when I start to feel an itch coming on. But washing it off thoroughly and applying the caladryl pretty much takes the itch completely away for me, so it's just a matter of waiting for the rash to just fade away.

Before I started doing this, a poison ivy rash was pure non-stop suffering for me and seemed to go on forever.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by aostling
                              These have to be pulled out one by one.
                              When I used to race around the Mojave Desert in SoCal on dirt bikes these were a reliable pest. Hitting them at 70 mph is always an eye opener. You have to finish the race with them stuck to your knees

You can't remove your leather pants until you've cut the spines free and pulled them through the leather, then you spend the next while removing them from your skin. Long after I quit riding I was still pulling them out. My knee caps were always a moonscape.

Comment

Working...
                              X