Hydraulic Fluid for Heat & Fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydraulic Fluid for Heat & Fuel

Just hooked up with about 400 gallons of this a month & plan on heating my shop. Also filtering & using 50/50 in my diesel truck, tractor & generator. We have an oil fired steam boiler for heating the house. Any one know if I can modify the oil gun to use this straight or do I need to blend it with fuel oil? Again Thanks for any & all help.
    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
    country, in easy stages."
    ~ James Madison

Originally posted by flylo
    Just hooked up with about 400 gallons of this a month & plan on heating my shop. Also filtering & using 50/50 in my diesel truck, tractor & generator. We have an oil fired steam boiler for heating the house. Any one know if I can modify the oil gun to use this straight or do I need to blend it with fuel oil? Again Thanks for any & all help.
    What type of hydraulic fluid , what additives if any , I have burnt used oil in my engines from time to time and helped add systems to large mine vehicles which acutally add new oil to replace the quantity drained off and added to the fuel system , all with no ill effects.
    Saves on disposal costs and allows the machine to operate for months without stopping.
    Michael

Comment

I'll find out for sure but I'm thinkig what we call universal hyd oil. I have a Cummins in my Dodge & a lot of guys put ATF or Hyd oil in the fuel to lubricate better. I was getting set up up to filter used motor oil to 5 microns but this is better as no acids & much cleaner to start with. I'll still double filter to 5 microns. This place is into super clean maintanance & change it evey couple of months. Any downside risk I should be aware of? If not this is just what I needed. This could heat the house, shop & feed the diesels.
      ~ James Madison

Comment

Originally posted by flylo
        I'll find out for sure but I'm thinkig what we call universal hyd oil. I have a Cummins in my Dodge & a lot of guys put ATF or Hyd oil in the fuel to lubricate better. I was getting set up up to filter used motor oil to 5 microns but this is better as no acids & much cleaner to start with. I'll still double filter to 5 microns. This place is into super clean maintanance & change it evey couple of months. Any downside risk I should be aware of? If not this is just what I needed. This could heat the house, shop & feed the diesels.
        A lot of the engines in the machines are Cummins and if you have a good Cummins guy close he should be able to show you how its done ,
        The ones that I helped with have a tank seperate from the fuel system to hold the oil which you want to burn with a filter as you described , the hardestpart is getting the mix right so that you stay within the local EPA rules , eg no more smoke or smells than normal.
        Once that is set for your engine then you can use hydraulic oil , used engine oil from your engine as i said earlier The engines I spoke of are the V12 and big sixes in trucks and excavators , the extra tanks were any size from 2 to 20 litres or more.
        I think that the mix was around 1 litre of waste oil to ten litres of diesel , but at the rates these big ones burn fuel that doesnt take long to get through.
        My last truck was 1.5 litres / kilometer on a good day , the excavators are often quite thirsty.
        Michael

Comment

That sounds like a lot of work to do what my old truck used to do naturaly (burn oil)! And it was not even a diesel!
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I know BioDiesel is a pain adding lye, having to heat it in the truck so it won't solidify,etc. Thats why I went this route all you do is filter & start with mixing 1/2 fuel & half oil. Some guys use up to 75% oil. No extra tanks needed. I do have a 175 tank that goes crossways behind the cab so with the 35 gal std tank gives me 210 gallons @24 MPG for a range of almost 5000 miles. Some guys get 30MPG or close to it. If I can just pump it once thru 2 5 micron filters at the same time the effort will me minimal & it will be like getting 50MPG or maybe more. And I have a waste oil furnace in the shop so free heat & warm tools.
            ~ James Madison

Comment

Working...
            X