Too many tools---

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too many tools---

Like most of you I have spent a lifetime building up a workshop. Sometimes I have been lucky and bought lots of tools for few dollars, other times I have had to scrape and save to buy what I really needed , or wanted at the time. Sometimes I wonder whether I really have too many tools, whether I might even be more productive If I actually had fewer tools to organise, clean, remember and find when I need them. If I had a slave who would place all the useful tools for any particular job on the bench in front of me when I needed them and would return them all to their hiding places when I finished that job it would be ideal--- unfortunately I am also that slave and a very defective one at that. By the time any individual job or project is over I often find I have a vast pile of tools on the bench to put away! Is there a cure apart from vastly enlarging my Christmas list and sending each and every one of you a surprise to gloat over!!! Here's hoping for some sensible and amusing points of view. Regards David Powell.

As you've discovered, there is or can be a whole lot of difference, perhaps for good reasons, and perhaps not, between what you want and what you need.

Then comes the point and challenge of rationalising it and actually doing something "drastic" or "heart-wrenching" about it.

Comment

Mostly be mercyless with yourself about leaving tools out. If its a project that overruns the time you have for it, let it go live in a box, or for a tool find it a home.

Ive also thought about some giant database on the shed pc of all the things I own, and to make a note where each lives, cupboard a, or drawer unit b drawer 2 level detail. Ditto for the little widgets that live in storage bins on the rails. I have mine mounted above head height to save room, but that has the side effect you cannot see the content, so I force myself to mark them with a dynamo tape marker cut out and put in the label slot and always put them back in the same position. Not a big jump to entering it in at the same time.
      It would take a long time to be complete but once it was I'd never buy another thing I already had that I'd forgotten about. Plus I could store things I need to know about the bigger things, what length bandsaw blades for the saw, insert types on the lathe etc, so I could just order more.

My wife has pointed out I must have serious OCD to even contemplate the above...

Comment

Relatives know if all else fails---

For Christmas and Birthdays they can count on a smile on my face if they give me ANOTHER set of small plastic drawers. They are all over the place, all labelled, but not necessarily containing exactly what is on the label. Organisation YES, efficiency NO. Opening some is like looking into a treasure chest forgotten since childhood ( Most of the relatives think I am in my second or even third anyway). There are even duplicates and triplicates which really gets me going sometimes, I could probably have a good time for a while measuring runout on pin vice collets!, Got lots of them SOMEWHERE. Might be more fun than worrying about it in 5cs---- This is really getting scary. Regards David Powell.

Comment

Sometimes I tell myself if I would go through my shop and indiscriminately throw every other thing away I would get twice as much done, because I could find something. It aint going to happen!!!! I’ll keep all my stuff and just keep looking

Jim Connell, DeLand FL.
          Daytona Beach is near us.

You haven’t begun learn until to learn until you learn how little you know.

Comment

I hate to be the one to tell you, BUT, What you MUST do is clean up
            more often during the job. :-)
            ...lew...

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick
              I hate to be the one to tell you, BUT, What you MUST do is clean up
              more often during the job. :-)
              ...lew...

I agree..........(not saying I do that)

I have found the joy of starting up now and then with a clean shop is very invigorating for me. Working knee deep in crap makes all project seem confusing for me.
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Seems like there are some chronic "hoarders" here who really do have the "bug" and just can't toss either the addiction or stuff that they've hoarded.

I'm not one of them!!!

Comment

Oddly enough---

When I work in someone else's shop I am a chronic tidy upper. No more than just the tools I am immediately using out of place. In my own I am still " MR Muddle". I start with good intentions, and a clear bench but get sidetracked with the need to ' Git er done". It does not help that I keep my models upstairs and often outside and am getting my exercise on the basement stairs.Now is set up and testing time for the models, frequently I have them in steam and want to use the shop for a minor item, so I come down , do what is needed and return to the model quickly without tidying up. After a day of that I am lucky to see bench beneath the clutter. regards David Powell

Comment

I always put tools back where they go when i'm done something.

Comment

Tool living is a disease. Seriously, it is an addiction for which I know of no cure. You just have to try to keep in in check as much as you can and know that after you're gone, no one else in the family will love them as much as you. In the meantime, you MUST enjoy! Even the mess has some merit. You've been working with your tools!
                      Vitَria, Brazil

Comment

I start with a clean bench and good intentions of putting the tools I'm using next to the work, keeping everything tidy. But more tools are always needed so they build up. Then I'm concentrating on the work and start putting tools down in random places rather than next to the work. Eventually I spend more time looking for the tool I just used than using the tool.

My rule now is that if I spend more than a few seconds locating a tool I put every tool I come across back in its place, even if I know I'm going to use it again shortly. I do this until I find the tool that started the search. Not perfect but it helps to constrain my clutter bug tendency.

John

Comment

I don't have enough room to be messy and still do good work.

Every time I've wrecked a piece, so far, has been when I've been working messy.

So I'm learning to just have out the tools for the job and put everything else away.
                          Hemi-proprietor,
                          Esoteric Garage

Comment

Originally posted by Tait
                            I don't have enough room to be messy and still do good work.

Every time I've wrecked a piece, so far, has been when I've been working messy.

So I'm learning to just have out the tools for the job and put everything else away.

Exactly, I can't stand a messy workbench or floor..........................

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Totally agree John, but I would like to know where you get that "tool pattern laminate flooring" Then again I haven't got the headroom as it seems at least a foot thick.

The cure to a messy bench is - build more benches, this affliction is a gift not an illness.

Regards

Keith

Comment

Working...
                              X