Lathe Crisis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lathe Crisis

Week ago I fitted all my chucks to my southbend lathe, I made a collar so I could screw the backplates on backwards. Well today I chucked in a chuck reamer to test run out, when I could visually see the wobble I got a little scared, Indicator was +/- .030. I then went to check my collar I made, I checked 4 points, 90 degrees apart, the damn thing was +.002 on each point, so .008 wobble from the get go.

Well, I Took that old Union chuck the lathe came with, the Sled weight chuck as some called it, the darn thing is dead on, I refaced the collar got it flat, Redid my Bison's back plate.
    Now my runout is .002 at near the chuck, which is what I would expect as normal 3 jaw runout. However, If I move and get a reading 2 or 3 inches away, its around .005.
    So I still need to take another facing cut on the back plate I guess.
    I did notice however that Protector ring on the SB9 spindle was very close to the shoulder on the spindle, so I tapped it back a little for some comfort, I think that might of been causing problems as well.
    I still need to redo the 4 jaw chuck...
    Some times this hobby makes you want to yell and break stuff.

If you think the machinist's trade is tough on you as a hobby, try 40 years of it.

I'm thinking about taking up bead work.

Comment

Thanks Forest, you smashed any thoughts I had of being a machinist with a sledgehammer.
      I'm going to put more effort into my college homework now.

Comment

You could take up computer work. What you learn today is obselete in two years. Irrelevant in 3 years. And in 10 years, It might as well be related to Dinosaur Eating habits for useful application.

There are some good sides with what you know.... :>

--jr
        dvideo

Comment

I came to this college in hopes of getting a comp sci degree, I changed it 2 years ago for those reasons, and others.

Comment

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 03-08-2004).]

Comment

Working...
            X