OT Vancant eye sor next door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Vancant eye sor next door

The house next door to mine has been vacant for five years. The front yard is always overgrown, vines growing on the house, backyard is a jungle with racoons living in it. The owner comes by once a year, mows the front yard, pulls the vines down, rakes (under threat from the city I'm sure). Last time he came by I told him people knock on my door occasionally and ask if he wants to rent or sell it. I asked if he wanted to give me his contact info so I could pass it on to anyone who is interested in buying it. He just said "no". That was the end of the conversation. My interpretation was "I don't need the money. I may have plans for this property one day but until then I'm going to let it rot right next to your place and be an eye-sore". That was over a year ago. He hasn't been by since.

It has deteriorated to the point that nobody asks about it anymore. It looks like it needs to be "condemned". I had my house up for sale last year and got no interest. Partly, I'm sure because of the eye-sore next door. My house was also burglarized last year. It's an easy target with no houses across the street and this vacant one next door. I just called the city and made an anonymous complaint about the overgrown front yard.

What can I do? What would you do?

Thanks,
    Roland
    -Roland
    Golf Course Mechanic

Bedminster NJ

I'd call the code enforcment officer, meet him there & demand it be brought to code or condemed. It's they're job & what your taxes pay for. If not done in a timely manner go to the city council meeting & demand satisfaction.
    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
    country, in easy stages."
    ~ James Madison

Comment

Most towns/cities etc. have some kind of ordinance about this kind of "derelict" buildings, lawns over grown and weeds not being controlled. You can file a complaint about it, they usually won't do much until someone calls them about it.
      The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

I know a guy here in Argyll he's a really nice guy very friendly he does odd jobs for me and everyone who asks . He has a hoarding problem he sees eveything a useful and his yard is hard to desribe,I am vey surprised the neigbours put up with it.Probably they let it go because he's such anice friendly guy.Alistair ps I really mean bad wish I had some pictures to show you.
        Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Would be a real shame if it were to burn down! Bob.

Comment

Be careful what you wish for

There was a house two doors down from me that was a similar situation. The owner died and it was wrapped up it court for years deciding who got it. The backyard was grown up to the top of the fence and the lady next door said there was a stench coming from the house.

Finally someone cleaned the place up but some rowdy teens moved in. They drive full throttle in their fart-can cars up and down the street. Play their boom-chika music way too loud and generally make it unpleasant for those of us with young children.

Given the choice, I'd rather live next door to some weeds.

Comment

Originally posted by flylo
              I'd call the code enforcment officer, meet him there & demand it be brought to code or condemed. It's they're job & what your taxes pay for. If not done in a timely manner go to the city council meeting & demand satisfaction.
              That is what I'd do and is what I have done in the past. I also would not do so anonymously, as IMHO anonymous complaints tend to hit the circular file. BTW, my complaint was quickly resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by mrriggs
                Given the choice, I'd rather live next door to some weeds.

I agree. Count your blessings you've got weeds next door and nothing worse.

I live in a rural area on a dirt road with the junk man (hoarder) next door and a foreclosed on vacant meth lab across the street. Best neighbors in the world, 'cause they're quiet.
                Gary

Appearance is Everything...

Comment

As long as you keep your place nice, that's about all you can do. The other property isn't yours, and short of breaking the law, he can do with it what he wants. Maybe take a up a collection with the neighbors to all pitch in for monthly lawn maintenance.

Comment

call the local health department

Comment

The other property isn't yours, and short of breaking the law, he can do with it what he wants. Maybe take a up a collection with the neighbors to all pitch in for monthly lawn maintenance.
                      Not true. At least not in the vast majority of places.
                      It is the homeowner's legal responsibility to keep a place in reasonably good condition because it's a safety concern if it's not. High weeds is a good place for vermin, insects and other wildlife to make shelter. Abandoned, ignored property is a prime target for malcontent humans to make shelter. Either can be a danger for youngsters. The lowering of your property value is of no concern to the suits at city hall since the tax levies are set already and that one house won't affect their income, but addressing crimes or injuries and possible lawsuits for inaction on their part compel them to settle the matter one way or another. You just need to bring their attention to it. No need to be anonymous.

Of course it might be good faith to calmly and clearly express your concerns and intentions to the owner first unless you fear bodily harm or something.

There is no way in he!! I'd pitch a nickel in to spruce up a negligent neighbor's property. Rather than take up a collection, if you were me you'd go around and get signatures on a complaint to send to the halls of justice to demand they do something about it. Sign it proudly and let the guy know he's a moron to do what he's doing whether he thinks so or not.

Also, any time things like this happen, it doesn't hurt to have documentation for proof. Take several pictures of anything you think might be relevant, and keep doing so every couple weeks or so. Archive the pictures and date them and keep at it. If it comes down to it, this will help to keep a fire under the owner to do it right and not just "whitewash" the place in-between complaints just so he can cheaply get past the crisis du jour and resume ignoring it the rest of the time.

Remember, people very rarely alter their behavior unless they have to. Whether business mogul, politician, preacher or sponge, unless there are consequences for bad actions, there is no reason to change your behavior.

Comment

Code Enforcement and City Council are your best bets.
                        Schedule time to attend EVERY City Council meeting, and tell them about the abandoned, overgrown house.
                        Remember to gently "Stretch" the truth about how DANGEROUS and FULL OF RATS and VERMIN that place has become. And how you REGULARLY SEE HOMELESS PEOPLE GATHERING THERE .....DOING DRUGS, and City Council REALLY SHOULD ADDRESS THE ISSUE.
                        Keep pestering them, and eventually they'll do something, just to shut you up.

Comment

Strange the house burned down. Must have been electrical or something.
                          Andy

Comment

maybe it's haunted,, ever hear any strange sounds comming from there late at night, like screaming, or doors banging, stairs squeaking,,-Bedsprings creaking!!???

Comment

I had a similar property close to my rural home. The folks across from me got the neighbors house from her estate. They didn't have the heart to tear it down or do anything about the fact that is was falling down. When my first written complaint didn't get results I made an appointment with the bylaw enforcement officer. I went down to his office and told him in no uncertain terms that if something happens to one of my curious sons on that property I would sue him and the county for damages. About a month later the house was down.

Comment

Working...
                              X