01 morse taper question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 01 morse taper question

Where preferably in the uk can you buy a morse taper 01 dead or live centre Fred my old pal asked me to ask you? Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

i dont know if they make minature ones

all i know is that they are sizes 0 to 7

second table down

http://www.newmantools.com/tech/taper.htm

number 1 tapers if you mean them are available from arceuro .ebay ..anywhere

bit harder to get a 0 one

hmm..............

maybe he said ..get me a zero one ...or a naught one....meaning he wanted a MT0

all the best.markj
    Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 05-15-2012, 06:02 PM.

Comment

The 01 designation throws me off. But if it is a MT 0 your looking for. I seem to recall that's what the Sherline lathes use.

Pete
      Last edited by uncle pete; 05-15-2012, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys I will check tomorrow with him too late tonight I think he meant 0 morse taper but maybe he meant 1 morse taper I think it is 0 though I will be back thanks so far pals. Alistair
        Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Ive seem #o M/T in tool catalogs,, i think just a couple, and yes i think sherline and maybe Taig use them also.

The old Dunlap built lathes (metal and wood), i think also used those tapers.

They're pretty small, think the large end is right around 1/4 inch.

KBC tools carries the morse taper drill sockets in #1 also reducing sleeves, so they must be available somewere around your'e country.

Comment

Sherline doesn't use a real MT0, they use a cut-off version with the same taper, but much shorter. it will fit, but for instance, will not eject from a tailstock.

I actually have a single MT0 center left over from an old machine..... sold two others with the machine. No idea where you'd get one, they are not at all common. The mate to it I had to drill out from the spindle, it was wedged in tight.

I do have an MT0 reamer though.

MT1 is pretty common comparatively. lots of small MT drills use that taper, up to 15/32 or so (11.9 mm).

While MT1 centers are not quite as common as drills, I do see them on lists of available tapers. I think small 6" (3" to you, Alistair) Atlas lathes use that in the tailstock.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

You're lucky for being in the UK on this one. If your friend is in need of true 0 Morse tooling, Cowells Machine has all sorts of items. Their 90ME lathe has a tailstock taper of 0 Morse.

Comment

MT details:

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur.Marks
                  You're lucky for being in the UK on this one. If your friend is in need of true 0 Morse tooling, Cowells Machine has all sorts of items. Their 90ME lathe has a tailstock taper of 0 Morse.
                  had a look at that site the other day , £2049.00 for what looks like a cheap chinese mini mill .. £135 each for a collet....what are they on. !!!
                  Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 05-16-2012, 07:48 AM.

Comment

...making a very quality machine entirely in the UK that is precise, accurate and guaranteed to be so? Those "collets" are Schaublin B8. Nothing to skoff at. In comparison to similar watchmakers' equipment, I consider them rather affordable. I don't have much to say, though, about the mill. I've always been more impressed with the lathes.

Comment

Working...
                    X