This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O/T Electric car nonsense on Fox

Got a call from a buddy of mine who falls for every "free" energy device that comes along and try as I might I cannot seem to make him understand that it remains impossible to produce energy from nothing! He called with this he found on the Fox news web site,

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/...ntcmp=features

I call BS on both the car and the people responsible for reporting this nonsense, ok it's an electric car that uses "free" energy from the wind when it reaches 40 MPH to generate power to recharge the batteries, he claims it triples the range of the batteries- must be true if it's on a news site!

I always get a kick out of the typical electric car crowd. Most tend to be large city type with limited grasp on reality. Do they forget the brown outs every year?......yet they want everyone to have an electric car.....lol.

Comment

Par for faux news.

Brian
      OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by bborr01
        Par for faux news.

Brian
        Amen. Gives some real insight into Fox's inability to accurately report scientific or technological news.

Comment

Ok so all we have had to do was add a fan driven generator to the front of the car to TRIPLE the range of the batteries, so how come all those dumb arse engineers that work for GM, Ford, Toyota, etc never thought of it if it's that simple?

So now I suppose the "big oil" companies will squash this brilliant gas saving "invention" just as they have been doing for many years! Think about it, every single time one of these stup.....err, "ingenious" inventions makes the news it mysteriously disappears so it MUST be true about the oil companies hiding them, right?

Comment

Originally posted by high country
            I always get a kick out of the typical electric car crowd. Most tend to be large city type with limited grasp on reality. Do they forget the brown outs every year?......yet they want everyone to have an electric car.....lol.
            Actually, I think most of the electric car crowd is more in tune with reality than you think. Yes, occasionally the power goes down for a few days during a bad snow storm, but if that's the case you aren't out driving anyway.

Imagine never having to stop at a gas station again. Imagine no more oil changes or repair bills (except shocks, brakes, and tires). Imagine stable pricing that doesn't fluctuate $0.60 per gallon because someone farted in the middle east.

Then there's the fact that electric cars give you torque on demand, not after you've waited for your engine to hit it's power band past 4k rpms. Or the fact that the traction control reacts 1000x faster than on an internal combustion powered vehicle.

Disclaimer: I do not own an electric car, they are still to expensive. However, I drove a Tesla Roadster and it completely changed my mind about electric vehicles the instant I pressed on the accelerator. There's no more VROOOM of the engine, it's more like a ZAP and you're gone. I also like how my wife described it, "it's like driving a laser beam".

Comment

Haven't they been trying to re-invent the electric car since ... ohh I don't know .... the 1950's or so?

Comment

Personally I think electric cars are a fantastic idea but other than things like regenerative braking and energy recovery devices that tap into otherwise wasted energy nutty ideas like this should not even rate serious discussion. This thing fails to take into account that the added drag of the fan would cancel out any energy it could produce to store in the battery, it would require a 100% efficient system just to break even but of course 100% efficient systems exist only in theory. Actually "energy it could produce" is a bad choice of words since it in reality does not produce energy but rather it simply converts energy from the forward motion of the vehicle through the surrounding air but where does that energy come from in the first place? The bottom line is the more energy that fan/generator "produces" then that much more energy will be required to move the vehicle forward, actually it would take a great deal more energy to propel the vehicle against the drag of the fan due to efficiency losses.

He claims this system extends by three times the battery range? I would think it would be far more likely that it actually reduces the range by at least a third!

Comment

I'm from Missouri....sorta

Yes I do find the claim of three times incredibly, however at around the 40 mile per hour mark "they" claim that wind drag is "not a significant factor on gas mileage". So my question is...is the new drag created any worse than that already produced by the vehicle? If not it MAY be possible to achieve a net gain.

Back in the early days of drag racing it was "impossble" to exceed 100 MPH, then it was 175 MPH etc.

Back when I was a kid my Dad drove a 1967 Dodge van, I can tell you that no fan could ever create more drag than that thing had to start with!

I suppose now I'm gonna hafta do some stupid test just to satisfy myself it's "impossible".
                  Allans Rule: Anything worth doing is going to be a pain in the butt.

Comment

Cool story, thank you
                    "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

Perhaps he could put 3 wind turbines on the front and eliminate the batteries?

Comment

There is a reason that little progress has been made in electric cars, since the 1910 Baker electric
                        http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/phot...oto.aspx#photo

Yes, Electric is quiet
                        Yes, Electric starts like a demon
                        Yes, Electric is cheap ( for a short time !)

Why isn't it a perfect car ?

Limited weight carrying ability . Battery packs makes weight for the tires marginal

Charging is not a simple plug into an extension cord. Look at the amps needed for a complete charge ! Oh, forget the lithium batteries. even if you can afford them, are you ready to burn your house down ?

How do you heat in the winter ?

How do you aircondition in the summer

Stuck in traffic with your lights on, or cooling fan,,you may be there a long long time

Everything in cars like backup cameras and music systems take...you guessed it, power....and that is a limited source in an electric car.

And now the death blow.
                        A Harvard Physics professor calculated the energy needed to charge the batteries if all USA motor vehicles were electric tomorrow.
                        This is very important.
                        It would take 3 1/2 times more power plants than we have in the USA in order to meet this demand. And we all know the NIMBY s would never let that happen.
                        So the result would be rationed electric power..
                        Yeah , electric cars are good idea...not

Rich

I believe the video came from Sky News, a British Organization
                        Green Bay, WI

Comment

Originally posted by bborr01
                          Par for faux news.

Brian
                          Too bad it wasn't on MSNBC, then it WOULD be true.

Comment

Originally posted by jkeyser14
                            Imagine never having to stop at a gas station again. Imagine no more oil changes or repair bills (except shocks, brakes, and tires). Imagine stable pricing that doesn't fluctuate $0.60 per gallon because someone farted in the middle east.

OK.. no oil changes ... but I'd rather change oil than the entire battery set every 3-6 years

Comment

Couple of years ago this showed up on an engineering site I visit.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/06...than-the-wind/

Read the debate that evolved anong lettered enineers here:

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=274009

The Chinaman's effort is along similar lines.

Any comments about "Wired" magazine's "stupid technological reporting"?

I thought not. They're "one of us".

Comment

Working...
                              X