Have you ever quit a good job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever quit a good job?

I am ready to quit my job. Its a good job, I am in the office as primary technical person. I am the only one that does cad, I am in house IT, I handle all the big oil sands projects.

I just can't seem to make things work with the guy the owner made gm a year and a half ago. We have not been able to get along for 10 years (since I started) He has been with the company 37.

I think a big part is when he became gm he was able to see what I make. (more then him)

I have somewhat of a plan if I quit but nothing solid. Just looking for some words of wisdom
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/csprecision

Oh forgot to mention he threatened me with my job today and that was almost enough to make me walk out the door.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/csprecision

Comment

Job

I have walked out on a few. Some after a few days, some after a few years.
      I always had something better in a week or so.
      You might want to locate a local head hunter and see what positions are available in your field. It sounds like you might be able to move up in pay with the right company. Once you have something lined out you could have the satisfaction of telling them to shove it.

Comment

Yep and thinking about doing it again.
        Best advice is to have your ducks in a row for your exit before you go. Bills paid up, money saved up, and if at all possible a new job for the following monday morning.

Comment

try to line up your new job first. Managers in Calgary prefer to hire Employed people over unemployed people. It seems to be an Oilpatch tradition.

Comment

Money won't buy happiness, but telling a company that you can't stand that you are quitting because you are not quite flexible enough to wear your arse for a hat just to fit in will prolly gain you some happiness.

I left a company that I always referred to as "the golden handcuffs" it was good money and not that bad of a job, but I never felt good about it. It was a great move.

Comment

Several times. This time, though, I'm retiring. For good, I hope.

As it pertains to machining, I walked off the first job I had with prejudice. My boss and the company he represented were pricks. Had I stayed I'd be prick, too. That was 1969. I know this because I left that job and bought the Beatles' White Album on the way home.

Sometimes I just jump up and high five myself for some of the righteous things I've done. That was one. I won't work for a prick.

Back to the present. I have an excellent job and I'm trying hard to replace me so I can retire with a good feeling that I've backfilled my position. So that isn't happening. The candidates I'm interviewing are nice, well meaning, but don't have a freaking clue about what they are applying for. In the most recent interview I found myself inventing questions I hoped the candidate could answer. He couldn't and yet was touted as one of the best of the best. Choked back a mouth barf. Where are the quality people?
              Last edited by dp; 05-17-2012, 03:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dp
                Where are the quality people?
                Retired or already have good jobs!

As you know, tech is hot around here right now

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53
                  Retired or already have good jobs!

As you know, tech is hot around here right now

Dammit!

Comment

Yes and no

I have quit a few good jobs, but have always put up with the crap until I was able to start the next job on Monday. Its less stressful to find a new job if you are already employed. It also looks good to the prospective employer if you are working. The job market is tight right now, its better to have the new job to go to. Jan

Comment

Will being a bit less thin-skinned help - at least in the period until a new job is in the offing?

Its likely who ever is interviewing you for a new job will ring your GM - so the cat will be out of the bag then.

Just be sure not to bad-mouth your current GM at the interview as it sure won't help.

Don't leave in spite as that is cutting off your nose to suit your face - and it won't help either.

Have you had it out with your GM to see if it can be sorted out?

Comment

I worked for a company for almost twenty years. They were going to close shop where I lived, but they offered me a chance to transfer to the new location. I liked the work, and it paid very well, but I didn't want to move.

I was in my early forties and single at the time, so I saved every penny I could for several years in advance. When they started offering incentives for people to leave so the ones that were going to transfer could stay with the company, I took the extra money, and quit.

It turned out that I had saved enough and invested it well enough that I've never needed to go back to work. I'd never imagined that I'd retire at 46, but I managed to pull it off pretty well.
                        Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

words of wisdom?

1) get the new job first, much easier to get a job when you have a job...among other things you're not desperate so have better judgement and there's more of a balance of power in negotioations

2) be the model employee and leave on the most graceful terms possible. If you have to tell all kinds of fibs about how you really like working for them but have to leave to broaden your horizons/face new challenges/be closer to the kids whatever do it. No matter how much you would like to tell them to take this job and shove it, these people are part of your past and your resume....what they think of you and how you leave it affects you in the futre

Comment

Have I ever quit a good job? No, don't think I have ever had employment that would qualify.

For me, the rule of thumb is once you start thinking its time to go, better begin looking in earnest since unless something major changes, the feelings will only deteriorate.

Situation I am in right now, more than grateful they hired me as I was coming off a long stretch of disability, much of which is still present but work-a-rounds are pretty easy.

However, my perception is lack of leadership, I can certainly make the decisions but it is based on what I would do which is not necessarily the way owners/managers want things done.

I can and do work some very labor intensive tasks which, as I age, will slow down and be less fully capable BUT what I can not do is accomplish work the way it should be done without proper materials both in nature and amount and I find that extremely frustrating and to some degree embarrassing since it is pretty obvious what the issue is (it reflects as my work being incomplete or poor when the supply of material is out of my control).

Edit: to be blunt (and tactless? sorry), did you want or do you want the GM job/role? The way I am reading the situation, that would be the way for you to "move up" but the immediate stumbling block is the part seniority will play in making changes in management. If you don't want that role (I would not) then it sounds like you are sort of "stuck"...I mention this because most jobs I have had, that is "it" as in there is next to no room to move up unless I can figure out a whole new skill set...to me one of the qualifiers of being in a "good job" is to have some vertical movement possible, as opposed to being "dead end"

Edit II: also don't forget in this modern era it is entirely possible the whole company will change hands and that can be disastrous for some current staff, cousin more or less lost everything (back pay, near 30 years seniority, pension will be tied up in court for years and only lawyers get money doing that) that way and is now faced with starting over at 53
                            Last edited by RussZHC; 05-17-2012, 08:15 AM.

Comment

If they are paying you more than your GM,then obviously they value you more than him.If he's got 37 years in how much longer can he possibly last?

You should not have to re-arrange your life because somebody is an a--hole.

In any rate even in this day and age no one has the right to threaten you with your job,unless you screwed something up really bad and the way employees are these days the bar is set pretty high for that

Maybe get your ducks in a row for a new job,but before you leave give your current employer the chance to ask why your leaving and then tell them.Who knows they might do the right thing.
                              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                              X