Maybe too far O/T, Grapefruit rippening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe too far O/T, Grapefruit rippening

Ok maybe I went too far off topic this time and if so I apologize but I have come to the conclusion that there is no subject you guys don't know about!

I have two miniature citrus trees about 4 feet tall, an Orange and a Grapefruit, and both bear fruit now. The Orange trees bloom in or around March and the fruit ripens on Christmas, it has become a tradition for us to pick our Oranges on Christmas eve. The question is about the Grapefruit which never seems to ripen, this time I just left the fruit hanging and pick one occasionally to see if it has ripened but no luck so far. The few fruits left on it now are from last season and it has already bloomed and set fruit for the next season, they are now slightly over a year old and still not ripe! The Oranges are full size and delicious but the Grapefruits are smallish in size and apparently never will ripen, any other miniature fruit tree owners here that can offer some advice? Could it be that miniature Grapefruit trees will never yield an edible fruit?

The way I understand the process is that any fruit tree needs another nearby same type fruit tree in order to cross polinate. There must be another orange tree to acomplish this so you get fruit. But the grapefruit is only relying on self polination and will never produce good fruit. There could also be something else wrong, I'm no expert, but I tried growing a peach tree but they need to have a frost of a certain temperature and lasting for a certain time or no fruit.
    Ernie

Comment

Maybe its a lemon tree!

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie
        The way I understand the process is that any fruit tree needs another nearby same type fruit tree in order to cross polinate. There must be another orange tree to acomplish this so you get fruit. Ernie
        As I've come to understand, that is true for certain varieties and species. But others will bear fruit just fine via self pollination. Apples for instance, some varieties requires more than one tree, whereas others (golden delicious, I think) get along fine with only one tree.

Pecans I know need several, or at least more than one, tree to produce.

That may very well be the problem with radkins' grapefruit. Or it may be the location. Where are you domiciled radkins?

Comment

A quick search of Wiki brings up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citrus
          Some, such as the grapefruit, may take up to eighteen months to ripen.
          Pops

Comment

[Some, such as the grapefruit, may take up to eighteen months to ripen]

Ahh, So that's the problem! The fruits from last season are now 12 months old.

Comment

Working...
            X