O.T. Be careful what you wish for..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.T. Be careful what you wish for..

So there I was several months ago thinking... ya know I'd really like to wean myself off the idiot box and get some stuff done. So the Cable company stepped in and helped me....anything I can tolerate watching are repeats of repeats of repeats. That was a good first step.

Now my wife had an operation and has had to be home for the last couple of weeks to recover. OMG....chickfest T.V.

I believe it is fair to say at this point that the TV and I are estranged
    Allans Rule: Anything worth doing is going to be a pain in the butt.

we cut the tv off 5 years ago don't miss it at all. we have neflix and watch movies.

Comment

No point in giving up on the TV, there are lot's of good movies, instructional DVD's etc, it's the channels that are the problem.

And it's the same here(Norway), repeats of repeats of repeats with a side helping of...... repeats and asorted tech TV for children with lots of monkeys with wrenches screwing stuf together(with nary a sight of how the parts the numbnuts are bolting together are made.

Dumbed down TV for dumbed down people.

And here we have to pay a grand each year to the national broadcasting service, for the privilege of owning a TV(or anything with a TV tuner), even if one never watches anything but DVD's, luckily it's not for each TV one owns.

I 86'd my sattelite TV a couple of months ago, now I have 10+ channels and my 50" plasma(with soundsystem) is mostly used for movies and music(rock/heavy/black metal)

Aaaaa, bliss

Comment

About two years ago (we had Direct satellite TV) We got so fed up with what they (the programmers and service providers) attempt to pass off as programing that we called up the dish outfit and told them what they could do with their service! Even if a program was interesting there were so many commercial breaks along with plugs for up-coming programs scrolling across the screen plus all the other stupid garbage plastered on the screen such as station identifiers, etc that whatever we were trying to watch just got lost in the confusion! I thought we would miss it for a while and maybe get accustomed to the idea of not having it eventually but I was wrong, we never missed it from day one! We took out Netflix by mail service since our internet does not allow streaming so we have movies when we want to watch one along with cleaned up versions of TV programming without all the across-the-screen garbage and commercial breaks, major news network's internet web sites for news and we couldn't be happier with it. I honestly think if more people would pry themselves away from the force-fed BS that passes for TV programing they might (probably) be very surprised at just how little they would miss it. I look back on it now and realize just how absolutely stupid a lot of programing is and how much BS the networks attempt to shove upon us and I realize now what a waste all that time was! (never mind the ridiculous amount of money wasted!)
        Last edited by radkins; 05-17-2012, 04:23 PM.

Comment

DVR, Hopper, and/or Tivo are your friends.
          Set interesting programs to record.
          Play them back at your lesiure, and skip past the commercials.
          30 minute shows are knocked down to 15 minutes, and 1-hour shows are 40 minutes without the commercials.

Comment

Originally posted by KiddZimaHater
            DVR, Hopper, and/or Tivo are your friends.
            Set interesting programs to record.
            Play them back at your lesiure, and skip past the commercials.
            30 minute shows are knocked down to 15 minutes, and 1-hour shows are 40 minutes without the commercials.

That still does not eliminate the stupid scrolling banners, station logos and other animated nonsense those idiots superimpose over the picture! Besides most of the programming available is not worth the time and trouble to record!

Comment

Gave up tv for the most part 10 years ago, and finally cut the cord when we moved into the current place 7 years ago. We do have a set of rabbit ears on the TV so my wife can watch baseball/football, but mainly the tv gets used for streaming Netflix. Frankly I don't miss it one bit, get a lot more done in the shop, and now can't even stand to watch broadcast tv on account of the commercials. Guess that makes me a bad consumer, but i'm ok with that.

Oh, forgot the best part... No cable bill means more money for shop toys, which pairs nicely with having more time in the shop.
              Last edited by adatesman; 05-17-2012, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by adatesman
                now can't even stand to watch broadcast tv on account of the commercials. Guess that makes me a bad consumer, but i'm ok with that.

Oh, forgot the best part... No cable bill means more money for shop toys, which pairs nicely with having more time in the shop.

We sure see things the same on that one! I honestly think if everyone would have to be away from commercial TV for a couple of months or so most would find when they returned that the programming/commercials/banners/logos are far more annoying than entertaining! The problem is most people have never in their lives been removed from the idiot box for more than a few days at a time and just don't realize how much of a waste in both time and money that it is. You are not the first I have heard say that they could not stand commercial tv after being away from it for a while, everyone owes it to themselves to at least try to break this wasteful habit, most I think would come away pleasantly surprised!

Also the point you made about having more hobby money is certainly true also, my wife and I both have benefited from having more to spend on our hobbies that would have otherwise been wasted on mostly annoying garbage! People think about it, there are only a limited number of hours in our lives so how many of those do we want to waste in front of a tv watching a stupid commercial?

Comment

Agree whole heartily with Radkins!!

T V is a waste of ones life,, such a shame that kids get hooked on the stupid programming, much better they be doing something creative, just playing, being kids.

It,s a SAD situation when people are so BORED with their lives, they will sit and waste their life away staring at the T. V.

Just my opinion, but it is the curse of the earth!!

Comment

It's not just the commercials. This short (too long, but you'll get the jist really quickly) video captures exactly how some of the programming looks without the commercials.

http://www.wimp.com/ustv/

Comment

We only watch the news (1/2 hour) and perhaps news summary (1/2 hour) per day (while having dinner usually) plus one ot two Brit documentaries per week - no sport etc.

I check the news snaps on our National (Government funded) TV - ABC -usually once a day (5 minutes) while I am at the computer when I check the weather and bank accounts. The ABC has just as many adverts for its own poor offerings as the commercial channels do. The mute button gets a lot of use.

My wife and I bought 1 large-ish and 3 smaller TV's as well as a really good recorder for our 50th. wedding anniversary - 2 1/2 years ago. The recorder has never been used and we were so pee-ed off with the programming that I only read the manual once and have not used it since. Only one TV gets used.

Reasons are similar to some as above.

Comment

Originally posted by bob308
                        we cut the tv off 5 years ago don't miss it at all. we have neflix and watch movies.
                        We did the same thing. TVis thebiggest time waster of all. I like to lisen to the radio when in the sop or driving & can get all my news & weather there.
                        "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                        world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                        country, in easy stages."
                        ~ James Madison

Comment

I totally pulled the plug on mine six months ago, best thing I've done in a long time. I don't miss TV one bit. I remember reading somewhere that when TV debuted at the nineteen thirtysomething world's fair, it was hailed as quite an innovation, but the prevailing thought at the time was it would never catch on because people didn't have time for it. LOL!

Comment

My late wife and i went without a TV for just over 30 years.

We raised four kids during that time, the kids till this day realize they never missed anything, AND they gained way more than others by learning things, they all had hobbies/pets etc.

At night we listened to certain radio programs, phone ins, radio talk shows for entertainment.
                            If a time slot wasn't interesting learning on the radio, they worked on their hobbies etc, made things.

I feel sorry for kids that are stuck in front of TV almost from day one, they're missing so much in their growing up lives.

Comment

There was a study of brain wave activity done by some university out east.
                              They found no discernible difference between the brain waves of someone that had watched TV for 1/2 hour and someone on dope.

They also found out that the image on the screen is the attracting force, doesn't much matter what it is.

That plus the programming makes TV this country's biggest drug problem.

On the other hand, TV is fine if used properly.

I record stuff like Modern marvels or How its made and watch it sans commercials with my cupcake and milk before bed.
                              No trouble getting to sleep.

My 93 year old mother who can just barely get around is on the food channels at least 4 hours a day.
                              The wife's chemo treatments have left her too weak to do much else. (thanks for the ipad)

So if you have nothing to do and lots of time to do it, have at it.
                              Just keep in mind, this is your brain on drugs.
                              Guaranteed not to rust, bust, collect dust, bend, chip, crack or peel

Comment

Working...
                              X