Sharp knee mill questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharp knee mill questions

I may have line on a machine coming up for sale. No prices, (place is closing doors soon). It's a Sharp QMV-2 verticle mill. Power cross feed. 10x50 table. Newall DRO.

I have no experience with a mill other than identifying one by picture! I can't lay hands on it to do a visual inspection yet. Before I get too wrapped up and excited about it, Are they, or were they any good?? Import or American made? Any other useful info would be great...

Sharp is one of the older machine importers.
    Most of their older stuff I know is Taiwanese.
    The seem to have some support for the older stuff along with documentation.
    I have 70's or 80's 6x26 vertical mill. I was able to get a copy of the manual and some parts that sorta fit. It was leadscrew nuts.

I think their stuff is equal to or better than the new Grizzly stuff.

So do you research and then look at the machine and evaluate.

Good luck.
    Dave

Comment

Their latest mill ( 3 yrs ago) has the sweetest (vibration free) and most quiet variable speed head that I have ever heard or seen in my 50 years of shop work.
      They have made inroads in the past 30 years and I consider them superior to many other Bridgeport imposters.
      The older models would have a early failure problem with plastic parts in the varispeed head.

Worthwhile for a shop tool

Rich

Comment

I have a Sharp mill I bought new 5 years ago. It is way better than a grizzley or jet. It gets about 10-20 hours a week use. I bought the one with electronic variable speed. I love it. I also have a used bridgeport with the manual variable speed. The bridgeport is a good mill, but I always end up using the Sharp because I like it better. I am a one man machine shop. I would buy another one when this one wears out. (not that it is going to wear out anytime soon) I've had no problems with this machinie.

Comment

Sharp Brand

I have used Sharp lathes and mills many times and consider them to be good quality well built machines.

Comment

I have a Sharp mill--I believe it to be a different model--and I am delighted with it. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Folks tell me there are a few hundred pounds more iron in it than a similar Bridgeport.

Orrin
            So many projects. So little time.

Comment

Me, too.

I have a Sharp LMV - I think it's their smallest Bridgeport clone (9x42). Got it new eight years ago, fully equipped with DRO, power X and knee, power drawbar. It came with built in phase conversion and electronic variable speed. Haven't regretted the purchase for a moment. As the old Gibson guitar catalog said in 1921, "Gives satisfaction long after the price is forgotten." Self-serving propaganda, but true nonetheless.

Two disclaimers:

Almost all of my milling is on stuff that can be lifted easily with one hand, so I don't really test the rigidity of the machine, and my only other milling experience has been with a series of school and shared-shop Bridgeports (and clones). And, those were all in need of serious adjustment or minor repair.

Because of my limited hands-on time and knowledge, I relied on a trusted and very experienced machinist pal to guide my selection.
              Cheers,

Frank Ford
              HomeShopTech

Comment

Originally posted by DFMiller
                I think their stuff is equal to or better than the new Grizzly stuff.

There's no comparison ---- Sharps are very high quality machines...

Comment

thank you fellows for the comments. It makes me feel a lot better about putting in an offer on this machine when the time comes.

Hope everyone has had a good weekend.

Comment

Working...
                  X