X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J Tiers
    replied
    Originally posted by Doc Nickel
    On the other hand, I could say that this morning I spent an hour discussing radio telegraphy with Guglielmo Marconi. None of you can prove that I didn't- you weren't watching me go about my morning- except that doing so is, in fact, impossible, owing to Marconi having died some three quarters of a century ago.
    Doc.
    Not at all.... he is alive and quite well at the moment...... living in Cagliari, near the Via Ospedale, IIRC. Since he is an amateur radio operator, you could easily have been talking to him on that subject.

There are of course a number of George Washingtons in the US, if it comes to that, and you could discuss current politics with some of them, no doubt.

Leave a comment:

• nitsuj
    replied
    Originally posted by TGTool
    This is no support for psychics, but to put it in perspective we all deal with things that are unprovable but we still believe exist. For instance I can tell you that I was thinking about my elderly father this morning. Can I ever prove that to your satisfaction? Probably not, but does that also mean it didn't happen?
    Not being able to prove something didn't happen isn't the same as proving it did.

Leave a comment:

• Doc Nickel
    replied
    Originally posted by TGTool
    This is no support for psychics, but to put it in perspective we all deal with things that are unprovable but we still believe exist. For instance I can tell you that I was thinking about my elderly father this morning. Can I ever prove that to your satisfaction? Probably not, but does that also mean it didn't happen?
    -Except that your action is not outside the realm of possibility.

Similarly, I could say that this morning I spent an hour on the lathe making a valve part. None of you have any proof I did so, but my doing so is not impossible.

On the other hand, I could say that this morning I spent an hour discussing radio telegraphy with Guglielmo Marconi. None of you can prove that I didn't- you weren't watching me go about my morning- except that doing so is, in fact, impossible, owing to Marconi having died some three quarters of a century ago.

Doc.

Leave a comment:

• TGTool
    replied

Leave a comment:

• nitsuj
    replied
    Originally posted by dalesvp
    A paper of interest (perhaps).

On the So-Called Alternative Vision or Direct Vision Phenomenon
    http://bronnikovmethodusa.com/wp-con...s/beht_eng.pdf

"..we conclude that the alternative vision phenomenon does really exist."

"..our study confirmed the alternative vision phenomenon in trained subjects."

"The phenomenon does exist, is reproducible, and can be studied physiologically."

"The phenomenon of alternative vision was experimentally supported."

Did you read the whole paper or just copy paste the end part that supports your beliefs?

You're not posting proof. You're posting anecdotal evidence at best. That isn't how science works. You can choose to believe it in spite of the science. That's fine. But you don't get to argue its real unless you can back it up. I refer back to the James Randi challenge. Not one medium has claimed the reward. All they have to do is prove their power too panel of scientists, all of whom are eager to be proven wrong. It would be awesome if people could see the future or talk to the dead. No one is trying to stop that from happening. I think most people would really love for it to be true. I'd love to talk to my mom again, or meet my grandfather. But there is no credible evidence that it could happen.

Leave a comment:

• Ernie
    replied
    All I can add is that if I could truly see the future, I would not be wasting my time getting a few bucks from the public. I would be out travelling and enjoying my millions and millions of dollars that I got from winning the lottery week after week after week....
    Ernie

Leave a comment:

• Alistair Hosie
    replied
    Do psychics read in to the future or just tell whats been already to confirm an afterlife.I.E get in touch with those already departed not tell the future or give lottery numbersAlistair

Leave a comment:

• dalesvp
    replied
    Alternate Vision (seeing without eyes)

A paper of interest (perhaps).

On the So-Called Alternative Vision or Direct Vision Phenomenon
    http://bronnikovmethodusa.com/wp-con...s/beht_eng.pdf

"..we conclude that the alternative vision phenomenon does really exist."

"..our study confirmed the alternative vision phenomenon in trained subjects."

"The phenomenon does exist, is reproducible, and can be studied physiologically."

"The phenomenon of alternative vision was experimentally supported."

Leave a comment:

• TGTool
    replied
    Tiffie, did you think the OP was serious or are you just getting a few whacks in about being a skeptic youreself? The original post was clearly humor.

Leave a comment:

• oldtiffie
    replied
    A a number/grade 1 sceptic/skeptic, I wonder why the OP didn't get his head read instead of his hands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skepticism

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&rlz=...w=1920&bih=823

Leave a comment:

• gcude
    replied
    We should invite Youree Dell Harris to challenge our skeptics here.

Leave a comment:

• nitsuj
    replied
    Originally posted by dalesvp
    Boeing’s Psychic Lab
    http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2007...w-correlation/

CIA Remote Viewing program - your tax dollars at work
    http://www.biomindsuperpowers.com/Pa...itiatedRV.html

People are free to believe anything they wish - such beliefs do not dictate principles of nature. Nor do unsubstantiated opinions carry any weight. Those in the know are moving forward putting their money where it counts. There are countless valid and substantial research programs and papers. An open minded person, who is interested, may Google them.
    Dude, are you reading the links your pasting? Theyre not strengthing your side of the discussion. The Boeing study was one experiment, decades ago. You think that it proved ESP, then they just stopped investigating? You're right, we're all free to believe what we want, and opinion isn't fact. But my opinion isn't unsubstantiated. Of the 2 of us, I'm arguing from the side of proven scientific fact. You're stating your unsubstantiated opinion on those facts. I am an open minded person, and I am interested. Thats why I don't just read the articles published decades ago that support what I want to hear. I'm interested in actual facts. I read all sides.

Leave a comment:

• jocat54
    replied
    Shoot nothing to worry about the future--it ends 12-21-12 according to the all knowing Mayans.

Leave a comment:

• TGTool
    replied
    I'm an agnostic on this stuff. I've seen some things that stretch explanation and weren't part of any "watch this" or a situation trying to engender trust. OTOH, I'm not comfortable leaning on much that's not verifiable either.

The Chinese divination system seemed to have a more nuanced attitude. It likened the universe to a machine whose complexity was impossible to grasp. Nevertheless, one could get indications of which way things were going. For illustration, if one were trying to cross the river you might push your skiff off confidently at normal times but tie up and wait it out when the river is in flood. The future is never cast in stone. What we do today shapes what will happen tomorrow but there are better and worse times or situations to intervene. It's certainly embedded in conventional wisdom and the vernacular when someone tells you that doing something is just pi$$ing up a rope. When one person can't see that but another can, is that knowing something of the future or just more wisdom? And if someone else can see a yet larger picture where's the line between just wiser and something else.

I don't go out for psychic readings, I enjoy the very interesting talents of some of these performers and try to stay open to new learning.

Leave a comment:

• Your Old Dog
    replied
    Originally posted by Weston Bye
    I can't help but ask: why?
    Thanks Wes but no worry! I was playing straight man to my own joke! If they actually could tell the future I wouldn't want to know it. I choose to take'em one day at a time and not looking for any shortcuts to a good life

Leave a comment:

Working...
X