No Lottery ticket today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Lottery ticket today

I don't normally play, but I figure I've used up all my luck for one day.

I went out in the garage this morning to tackle replacing the faulty relay on my lathe. The "replacement" didn't look the same except that it had 10 contacts 5 on the top and 5 on the bottom. However the old one had 2 contacts near the back 1 on top and 1 on the bottom. I checked the new one for continuity and had 3 NO, 1 NC, and 1 set that read continuity all the time. I then took pics made notes, etc before pulling the wires from the old relay. Had 4 NO, 1NC, and the 2 contacts on the back read continuity all the time. I figured they had to be the leads that pulled the relay in after back tracking. I put those on the new relay in the position that read continuity all the time, and everything else where it belonged.

Plugged the lathe up and tested everything. Everything worked as it should including the forward would drop out as soon as it was cut off and the e-stop button now works properly as well. JOY at last!!!!

Then I went to the back and decided I had better secure the relay to the panel board. I tried getting the screw throught the relay and started into the circuit board for several minutes. Then there was a bright flash and sparks everywhere. Yep, you guessed, I forgot to pull the plug. The screwdriver shorted from a hot wire to the side of the cabinet. Just glad it wasn't 4160 volts like on my old job, I'd be at the hospital or morgue now.

I couldn't believe that I had done it. I worked in the phosphate mining industry for over 30 years. The last 13 as an Assistant Superintendent. My job required that I do all confined space Lock Out on repair days. I have probably written the lock out procedures for 50 confined spaces. I have also written lock out procedures on probably +100 pieces of equipment. I had to do lock out inspections weekly as part of my safey requirements.

It can happen to anyone. I didn't write this to tell everyone how incredibly "stupid" I was this morning. In my old job I had to write 3 near miss incidents a month. It was a way of reminding us of how dangerous our jobs were and trying to improve safety.

I hope this reminds everyone to think about safety as well as the task at hand.

stay safe,
    Ken

To summarize, it's laundry day! Good post; it's easy to get so involved you forget safety procedures. Glad you dodged the bullet tho'.
    I'm here hoping to advancify my smartitude.

Comment

Clumsy Bastard

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Gizmo: thanks.

John: Glad I'm still around to hear it from you. How is Jolly old England these days. Haven't been there since 1969. Lived in Stokenchurch and High Wycombe for 4 years, while dad was serving in the USAF.

Ken

Comment

Working...
        X