OT: Gamma Spectroscopy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Gamma Spectroscopy

So, A couple weeks ago I found a Harshaw 2"x1.5" NaI(Tl) scintillator attached to a 6199 PMT at a surplus store for $3. Finally got a socket and made up the dynode string and it seems to work well. I am running it off an old Ultravolt power supply.

I decided to give PRA a try, It is a free piece of software that plots voltage height vs occurrence into a histogram that will show you the gamma spectrum of a radioactive source. I ended using my desktop PC which can handle 192khz and 24bit input. I found the settings in the Sound control panel make a huge difference in the amount of noise. 100% volume and +20db amplification gave me virtually zero background noise shown in Intune and there was an audible difference when I monitored through speakers. Intune shows nice clear pulses. The first pic is a capture from my Tek TDS340A of the pulses coming out of the tube.

I need to get a Cs-137 source ordered. Once I get that I can get the thing calibrated to show the electron energy the detector sees. I am really not sure if this thing is working right until I get the source. The problem with the U ore is all the daughters produced with the decay of the U.

-Jerry

IMG_2238 by macona, on Flickr

Scintillator PMT output by macona, on Flickr

Uore2.475 by macona, on Flickr

You find some of the coolest junk.

Comment

Trying hard not to flaunt my ignorance, but what will you use it for? I have to agree, though, a neat find, and the price is right.Bob.F.

Comment

Somebody bought something for 3 bucks. It's electrical. And Uranium is somehow involved.
        How am I doin'?

Comment

Yeah, some of the daughters of U decay are real bitches, and all of them are a little heavy for my taste.
          Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

and a bitch to machine, even with flood suds
            Just got my head together
            now my body's falling apart

Comment

You can use it to figure out what is in stuff. Like last year when fukushima went up I could have seen what isotopes were in the rain water.

Wiki has a bunch on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_spectroscopy

It looks like something I am doing is wrong with my set up. Not sure if I have a bad photomultiplier tube or what.

-Jerry

Comment

The only reason you got that for $3 is there's only 2 people on earth that knows what it is, you & the guy that donated it & he probably died of gamma ray poisoning so it all you baby!
                "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                country, in easy stages."
                ~ James Madison

Comment

AND, after we find what is in the rain water, Then what do we/you do? I don't think I need one. Bob F.

Comment

Been a while since I was involved in this stuff but I suspect that a Cs 137 source larger than a smoke detector will require a specific NRC license. Major pain in the ass and red tape.

Comment

Nah, they are usually around $50 to $80 depending on amount.

http://www.spectrumtechniques.com/radioisotopes.htm

Comment

Working...
                      X