3 mils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 mils

Can someone tell me in inches or milimeters the equivalent of three mils.

Thanks
    C. Tate

I was taught that 3 mils - around the shop - is .003". It's a more accurate measurement than an rch. (and a little bigger)

bc
    BC

If ya wannit done your way ya gotta do it yourself.

Comment

I remember reading this same question a while ago and I believe the correct answer was that a mil is an artillary term.
      Where the confusion arises is people using the term incorrectly.
      In the UK there is no such thing in engineering as a mil.
      We have a Mill as a machine and we have a mill as an abreviation of a millimetre.

I have heard of thousanths of an inch [ thou's ] being expressed in the US as mil's but I'm sure that's not official.

In the UK if we are working in small parts of an inch then they are thou's, 1000 to the inch.
      If we are working in small parts of a millimeter then its' expressed as point 04 or point 16, 100 to a millimetre.
      Any other method causes confusion, the proof of that is lying on the surface of Mars

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bill Cook:
        I was taught that 3 mils - around the shop - is .003". It's a more accurate measurement than an rch. (and a little bigger)

bc
        </font>
        Bill, so what do you call 0.03mm

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Easy! Just walk into your local supermarket with a micrometer, rip open a fresh box and measure a 3 mill trash bag!

Q.E.D.

Comment

Another example of something that makes no sense at all. Used to measure film thickness, but why it is not a thou rather than a mil, I couldn't say.
            Since a normal person has no idea what either represents, it doesn't matter.
            Mils are also used to describe wire sizes after wire gauge sizes, which also don't make any sense, are exceeded. 500 MCM wire is 500 million circular mils.
            An RCH is about 0.0015". We had a young lady supply the maintenance department with several examples in a baggie once. Kept them as a standard.
            Jim H.

Comment

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 03-08-2004).]

Comment

I know in tax assessment terms a mil is 1/1000 of a dollar so I would assume its 1/1000 of anything else. My bad?

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by John Stevenson:

I have heard of thousanths of an inch [ thou's ] being expressed in the US as mil's but I'm sure that's not official.

</font>
                  Wire cross-section is standardly in circular mils, and yes those would be thousandths that are referred to. A circular mil is the area of a circle 0.001 inch diameter.

At the large and of the wire gauge numbers it transfers to circular mil designations. The various number gauges are sized as so many circular mils in the wire table.

When designing transformers, the wire size is chosen as so many circular mils per ampere.

The artillery term version I don't recall anymore, doesn't it refer to angles?

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

John

Around here, New Jersey, I call it metric. It needs to be converted.

tap tap .0012" hmmm. If not quoted from the math, I'd call that a fat thousandth or, a thousandth strong. Maybe a bad fit, or a good fit. Or - a kind'a skinny finnish cut.

Working alone I may have evolved my own nomenclature.

bc

[This message has been edited by Bill Cook (edited 02-24-2004).]
                    BC

If ya wannit done your way ya gotta do it yourself.

Comment

In the US aerospace design community, a mil is 0.001 inches, and is usually used when referring to film or sheet thicknesses.

Comment

Comment

Having once had a lanky, sultry 5 ft 7" source of rch (trimmings from the impending bikini season) I made up an "NBS Calibration Standards Card" about 4" x 5" with an opening for accessibility to said standard unit and a legend:

"National Bureau of Standards - Washington DC.

"Official Primary Standard Mechanical Metrology Unit Consisting of one (1) Red Pubic Hair 3" long.

"Gender: Female

"Color: red, never dyed

"Calibration interval: Intrinsic unit; No calibration required.

"Acceptable for all industrial, construction, and commercial applications where a ready standard reference is necessary for adjustments and descriptive metaphors."

Followed by a serial number.

I made up hundreds of cards. They were a hit. Management tried to sieze them as being sexist, unseemly to an industrial setting, therefore contraband not conforming to policy but I saw through that and busted them for attempting to steal them so they could hand out them out as novelties to their offical buddies.

I kept a stack of rch calibration cards handy in my tool box to give to visitors to the inspection department but someone stole them (never had a tool stolen in 40 years but that was a first). The remaining standards are long gone as is the source for the reference material.

For the record, rch are oval generally 0.0032 x 0.0026 major to minor axes at the base of the hair shaft, tapered in cross section, and readily harvested with fingernail scissors after three glasses of wine are administered. While rch are intrinsic standards, display of a photo of the source (if comely) enhances confidence in the standard.

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 02-24-2004).]

Comment

Comment

Used to be...
                              Paper Coupons always had in the fine print "Value 1 Mill".
                              Also you would see this on "Green Stamps" and the like.

Some legal thing that you never see anymore.
                              (Did I just date myself?)

Tom M.

Comment

Working...
                              X